Old 01-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Brian Krusic

Default usage advice

Hi all,

While I've used this great tool to migrate several physical servers to
Xen domUs in the past, I have an issue.

I've always converted hosts having small disks of around 40G over to
domUs but have an issue were my current host in need of being
virtualized has a physical disk of 500G but its / partition is only
35G, the rest of the drive is unallocated/unpartitioned and therefore
unused.

I don't know why it was done this way but I have come in and started
cleaning house, introducing Xen, etc...

I obviously don't want to migrate the entire 500G disk as it only has
a 35G root partition (ext3, no LVMs in this case).

Here is the hosts partition layout;

/dev/sda1 ext3 /
/dev/sda5 swap

- Brian

Old 01-22-2009, 05:30 AM
Stephan

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:26:53 -0800, Brian Krusic <brian@krusic.com> wrote:
> I obviously don't want to migrate the entire 500G disk as it only has
> a 35G root partition (ext3, no LVMs in this case).

How about taking a backup of everything, possibly using a hard drive
cloning tool, then using the gparted live cd to resize the partitions? I
guess it's not without risk, but to be honest, it will probably work - it
has never failed for me so far. It isn't my data though, so easy for me to
say! ;-) The live cd / usb image can be downloaded from here:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

While we're on the subject, I've only ever used this mailing list to talk
about libvirt. What tool are you using to virtualise your existing physical
servers? It's an area I want to start looking into in the fairly near
future too.

Best regards,

Stephan

Old 01-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Simão Fontes

Hello,

I have found a very useful tool for migrating physical systems to virtual.
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v/
If someone knows of a different one, please let me know how i can get it.

Thanks,
Simão Fontes

Old 01-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Brian Krusic

Hi Stephan,

Thanks for the post and my mistake, I am using the virt-p2v tool that
I thought this list was for. I didn't realize its for many tools.

So when I use it, it not only does my only partition on the hd, but
the entire 400G disk.

Just to clarify, I only have 1 partition on the drive which is 35G,
the rest of the drive is unused and unpartitioned but virt-p2v will
try to make a domU file of 400G and not just 35G.

Any ideas?

- Brian