Old 01-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Cole Robinson

Default virt-manager: List VM 'hostdev' devices

The attached patch adds support for listing, viewing details of, and
removing VM 'hostdev' devices. libvirt currently supports usb and pci
host devices, so I tried to tackle all the variants for each. Some
example screeenshots:

http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-show-hostdev1.png
http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-show-hostdev2.png

A couple particulars:

- There is no icon for a 'hostdev' in the VM's hardware list. We've been
stretching use of gtk stock icons pretty thin, and there really isn't
anything available that makes sense. This will be addressed when we
integrate custom icons (next release).

- The parameter differences between PCI, USB by vendor/product, and USB
by bus/device number are pretty large. Rather than have 10 different GUI
fields, populating only what is appropriate and hiding the others, I
just generate a single line listing for the device details section (ex.
"Bus: 001, Device: 002". This is shown in the screenshots. It's a bit
uglier this way, but much simpler, and conveys all the same information.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks,
Cole

Old 01-20-2009, 09:56 PM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 05:41:48PM -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
> The attached patch adds support for listing, viewing details of, and
> removing VM 'hostdev' devices. libvirt currently supports usb and pci
> host devices, so I tried to tackle all the variants for each. Some
> example screeenshots:
>
> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-show-hostdev1.png
> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-show-hostdev2.png
>
> A couple particulars:
>
> - There is no icon for a 'hostdev' in the VM's hardware list. We've been
> stretching use of gtk stock icons pretty thin, and there really isn't
> anything available that makes sense. This will be addressed when we
> integrate custom icons (next release).
>
> - The parameter differences between PCI, USB by vendor/product, and USB
> by bus/device number are pretty large. Rather than have 10 different GUI
> fields, populating only what is appropriate and hiding the others, I
> just generate a single line listing for the device details section (ex.
> "Bus: 001, Device: 002". This is shown in the screenshots. It's a bit
> uglier this way, but much simpler, and conveys all the same information.

I'd just use the formatted address syntax shown by lspci/lsusb, eg

USB 001:002
PCI 0000:01:3f.0

Given the PCI / USB address you ought to be able to use the host
device enumeration patches to find the matching device on the host.
Once you have that you get the friendly Vendor + Product name
which would be more useful to display

Daniel

Old 01-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Cole Robinson

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 05:41:48PM -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
>> The attached patch adds support for listing, viewing details of, and
>> removing VM 'hostdev' devices. libvirt currently supports usb and pci
>> host devices, so I tried to tackle all the variants for each. Some
>> example screeenshots:
>>
>> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-show-hostdev1.png
>> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-show-hostdev2.png
>>
>> A couple particulars:
>>
>> - There is no icon for a 'hostdev' in the VM's hardware list. We've been
>> stretching use of gtk stock icons pretty thin, and there really isn't
>> anything available that makes sense. This will be addressed when we
>> integrate custom icons (next release).
>>
>> - The parameter differences between PCI, USB by vendor/product, and USB
>> by bus/device number are pretty large. Rather than have 10 different GUI
>> fields, populating only what is appropriate and hiding the others, I
>> just generate a single line listing for the device details section (ex.
>> "Bus: 001, Device: 002". This is shown in the screenshots. It's a bit
>> uglier this way, but much simpler, and conveys all the same information.
>
> I'd just use the formatted address syntax shown by lspci/lsusb, eg
>
> USB 001:002
> PCI 0000:01:3f.0

Yeah that makes sense. I'll update the patch.

> Given the PCI / USB address you ought to be able to use the host
> device enumeration patches to find the matching device on the host.
> Once you have that you get the friendly Vendor + Product name
> which would be more useful to display

Agreed, I actually meant to include a note to that effect in my original
mail, clearly I forgot

Thanks,
Cole

Old 01-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Cole Robinson

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 05:41:48PM -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
>> The attached patch adds support for listing, viewing details of, and
>> removing VM 'hostdev' devices. libvirt currently supports usb and pci
>> host devices, so I tried to tackle all the variants for each. Some
>> example screeenshots:
>>
>> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-show-hostdev1.png
>> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-show-hostdev2.png
>>
>> A couple particulars:
>>
>> - There is no icon for a 'hostdev' in the VM's hardware list. We've been
>> stretching use of gtk stock icons pretty thin, and there really isn't
>> anything available that makes sense. This will be addressed when we
>> integrate custom icons (next release).
>>
>> - The parameter differences between PCI, USB by vendor/product, and USB
>> by bus/device number are pretty large. Rather than have 10 different GUI
>> fields, populating only what is appropriate and hiding the others, I
>> just generate a single line listing for the device details section (ex.
>> "Bus: 001, Device: 002". This is shown in the screenshots. It's a bit
>> uglier this way, but much simpler, and conveys all the same information.
>
> I'd just use the formatted address syntax shown by lspci/lsusb, eg
>
> USB 001:002
> PCI 0000:01:3f.0
>
> Given the PCI / USB address you ought to be able to use the host
> device enumeration patches to find the matching device on the host.
> Once you have that you get the friendly Vendor + Product name
> which would be more useful to display

Updated patch attached, addressing the above comment. New screenshots
say it all:

http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-show-hostdev1v2.png
http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-show-hostdev2v2.png

Thanks,
Cole

Old 01-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Cole Robinson

Cole Robinson wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 05:41:48PM -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
>>> The attached patch adds support for listing, viewing details of, and
>>> removing VM 'hostdev' devices. libvirt currently supports usb and pci
>>> host devices, so I tried to tackle all the variants for each. Some
>>> example screeenshots:
>>>
>>> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-show-hostdev1.png
>>> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-show-hostdev2.png
>>>
>>> A couple particulars:
>>>
>>> - There is no icon for a 'hostdev' in the VM's hardware list. We've been
>>> stretching use of gtk stock icons pretty thin, and there really isn't
>>> anything available that makes sense. This will be addressed when we
>>> integrate custom icons (next release).
>>>
>>> - The parameter differences between PCI, USB by vendor/product, and USB
>>> by bus/device number are pretty large. Rather than have 10 different GUI
>>> fields, populating only what is appropriate and hiding the others, I
>>> just generate a single line listing for the device details section (ex.
>>> "Bus: 001, Device: 002". This is shown in the screenshots. It's a bit
>>> uglier this way, but much simpler, and conveys all the same information.
>> I'd just use the formatted address syntax shown by lspci/lsusb, eg
>>
>> USB 001:002
>> PCI 0000:01:3f.0
>>
>> Given the PCI / USB address you ought to be able to use the host
>> device enumeration patches to find the matching device on the host.
>> Once you have that you get the friendly Vendor + Product name
>> which would be more useful to display
>>

> Updated patch attached, addressing the above comment. New screenshots
> say it all:
>
> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-show-hostdev1v2.png
> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-show-hostdev2v2.png

This is applied now.