Old 01-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Cole Robinson

Default virt-manager: specify 'model' attr when adding net device

The attached patch allows specifying a device model when adding a
network device to an existing VM (ex. 'virtio', 'e1000', 'pcnet', etc.
depending on the emulator).

A screenshot of the new UI:

http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-net-model.png

Thanks,
Cole

Old 01-19-2009, 09:04 PM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 10:57:58PM +0100, Guido G?nther wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 11:40:15AM -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
> > The attached patch allows specifying a device model when adding a
> > network device to an existing VM (ex. 'virtio', 'e1000', 'pcnet', etc.
> > depending on the emulator).
> >
> > A screenshot of the new UI:
> >
> > http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-net-model.png
> This is very useful!
>
> > + mod_list = [ "rtl8139", "ne2k_pci", "pcnet" ]
> > + if self.vm.get_type().lower() == "kvm":
> > + mod_list.append("e1000")
> > + mod_list.append("virtio")
> It would be nice if this type of information (available sound card
> emulations, available network card emulations) would be exposed by
> libvirt so not all management app do have to keep track of it.

Indeed. The existing host capabilities XML gives a reasonable amount
of data on the core hypervisor features. We need equivalent data that
covers device emulation features. This will quite dramatically expand
the amount of capability data, since there are soooo many combinations.
Figuring out the correct available options will be fun too, but clearly
we need to adress this at some point. We only get away with it now
because both Xen and KVM are both reasonably similar in device capabilities
via the shared QEMU base. If we ever get a VMWare driver for libvirt
there will be dramatically different device emulation features to worry
about.

Daniel

Old 01-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Cole Robinson

Cole Robinson wrote:
> The attached patch allows specifying a device model when adding a
> network device to an existing VM (ex. 'virtio', 'e1000', 'pcnet', etc.
> depending on the emulator).
>
> A screenshot of the new UI:
>
> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-net-model.png

This is applied now.