Old 01-10-2009, 12:40 AM
Richard Laager

Default UI String Cleanups

The README file says to post hg bundles to fedora-xen. This mailing list
(as listed on the website) seems more appropriate. If this is correct,
the README should be updated. If you'd prefer this in the tracker,
please let me know. Otherwise, here is the bundle:
http://coderich.net/virt-manager-ui-tweaks.hg

This corrects a number of small UI issues. This should partially or
fully address bugs 452411, 475682, and 475926.

If the direction of this patch is good, Dan Bass, my colleague, and I
can make another pass over the bugs we've filed/subscribed to and see
what remains.

Richard

Old 01-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Cole Robinson

Richard Laager wrote:

Thanks for the contribution! And doubly thanks for all the bugs you guys
have been filing, it is greatly appreciated.

> The README file says to post hg bundles to fedora-xen. This mailing list
> (as listed on the website) seems more appropriate. If this is correct,
> the README should be updated. If you'd prefer this in the tracker,
> please let me know. Otherwise, here is the bundle:
> http://coderich.net/virt-manager-ui-tweaks.hg

This is the correct mailing list, but it's probably better to send
things as 'hg exports' rather than bundles. No harm now though, but I'll
update the README.

> This corrects a number of small UI issues. This should partially or
> fully address bugs 452411, 475682, and 475926.
>
> If the direction of this patch is good, Dan Bass, my colleague, and I
> can make another pass over the bugs we've filed/subscribed to and see
> what remains.

Patches look good. Had some trouble applying the first one, but I
gathered the gist of it and adapted it against the latest upstream. I
also combined all the label/wording changes into one patch for simplicity:

http://hg.et.redhat.com/cgi-bin/hg-virt.cgi/applications/virt-manager--devel/rev/94f8363b03a8
http://hg.et.redhat.com/cgi-bin/hg-virt.cgi/applications/virt-manager--devel/rev/25ad7f471b5c
http://hg.et.redhat.com/cgi-bin/hg-virt.cgi/applications/virt-manager--devel/rev/9b7e15d9a0e5

Thanks,
Cole

Old 01-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Richard Laager

On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 15:08 -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
> This is the correct mailing list, but it's probably better to send
> things as 'hg exports' rather than bundles. No harm now though, but I'll
> update the README.

This should probably be updated as well:
http://virt-manager.et.redhat.com/scmrepo.html

> > This corrects a number of small UI issues. This should partially or
> > fully address bugs 452411, 475682, and 475926.

I took a look at those (and other bugs we filed) and prepared a few more
minor UI changes:

The attached patch should address the remainder of the issues in
#452411, so it can be closed (assuming you agree with my comment about
the pause action there).

It also addresses the wording in #475926 (and similar other cases), but
does not address the buttons. I imagine I'd have to create the dialog
myself, rather than use gtk.MessageDialog? I'm familiar with GTK+, but
not the PyGTK wrapper, so any pointers would be helpful.

The patch addresses the wording changes in #478408, but not the more
in-depth suggestions:
Alternatively, if the first item in the list is always selected
(making it impossible to select nothing if the list is
non-empty), then the physical device radio button could be
greyed out when the list is empty; this would make this error
message entirely unnecessary.

Perhaps this dialog (or the wizard) should mention installing
hal if the list is empty (which was the reason the list was
empty for me).

Likewise for #475639... wording changes done, more in-depth changes not.

For these more in-depth things, if you like the ideas, please let me
know and I can see about implementing them. If not, then let's close the
bugs out now.

In the Shut Down* submenu (and does that really need to be a submenu?)
and toolbar drop-down, I changed the terminology to "Shut Down" and
"Force Off". To me, this seems more clear than "Poweroff" vs. "Force
Poweroff". If you don't like "Force Off", I'd suggest "Power Off"
instead, keeping the clean "shutdown" action as "Shut Down". I preferred
"Force Off" over "Power Off" because 1) there is only power to hosts,
not virtual machines, and 2) I wanted to keep the word "force" to make
it clear that's not the clean action.

I also updated the machine status terms to be "Shut Down" and "Off"
instead of "Shutdown" and "Shutoff", respectively, so they match.

* Yes, I also changed "Shutdown" to "Shut Down", which is what GNOME is
using in the panel.

Thanks for your time and consideration of these changes,
Richard

Old 01-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Cole Robinson

Richard Laager wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 15:08 -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
>> This is the correct mailing list, but it's probably better to send
>> things as 'hg exports' rather than bundles. No harm now though, but I'll
>> update the README.
>
> This should probably be updated as well:
> http://virt-manager.et.redhat.com/scmrepo.html
>
>>> This corrects a number of small UI issues. This should partially or
>>> fully address bugs 452411, 475682, and 475926.
>
> I took a look at those (and other bugs we filed) and prepared a few more
> minor UI changes:
>
> The attached patch should address the remainder of the issues in
> #452411, so it can be closed (assuming you agree with my comment about
> the pause action there).

Excellent, thanks.

> It also addresses the wording in #475926 (and similar other cases), but
> does not address the buttons. I imagine I'd have to create the dialog
> myself, rather than use gtk.MessageDialog? I'm familiar with GTK+, but
> not the PyGTK wrapper, so any pointers would be helpful.

This can hold off a bit. We need a revamped delete dialog anyways to
optionally allow deleting the VM disk storage, so I'll incorporate this
change when that work is done.

> The patch addresses the wording changes in #478408, but not the more
> in-depth suggestions:
> Alternatively, if the first item in the list is always selected
> (making it impossible to select nothing if the list is
> non-empty), then the physical device radio button could be
> greyed out when the list is empty; this would make this error
> message entirely unnecessary.

Yes, this is a reasonable change.

> Perhaps this dialog (or the wizard) should mention installing
> hal if the list is empty (which was the reason the list was
> empty for me).

Maybe if any hal calls fail, we disable the drop down and put up add a
tooltip or something like that.

> Likewise for #475639... wording changes done, more in-depth changes not.
>
> For these more in-depth things, if you like the ideas, please let me
> know and I can see about implementing them. If not, then let's close the
> bugs out now.

I'll make a run through the bugs and add specific comments as appropriate.

> In the Shut Down* submenu (and does that really need to be a submenu?)
> and toolbar drop-down, I changed the terminology to "Shut Down" and
> "Force Off". To me, this seems more clear than "Poweroff" vs. "Force
> Poweroff". If you don't like "Force Off", I'd suggest "Power Off"
> instead, keeping the clean "shutdown" action as "Shut Down". I preferred
> "Force Off" over "Power Off" because 1) there is only power to hosts,
> not virtual machines, and 2) I wanted to keep the word "force" to make
> it clear that's not the clean action.

Yes I think the change here is a good idea. Though you missed an
instance manager.py, so that will need to be changed.

> I also updated the machine status terms to be "Shut Down" and "Off"
> instead of "Shutdown" and "Shutoff", respectively, so they match.

Actually the 'Shutdown' in this case was a mistake, that state means the
VM is 'currently shutting down', so 'Shutting Down' would be
appropriate. I'd also prefer to keep "Shutoff' as is: 'off' is pretty
general and at first glance could confuse a user if they didn't realize
it represented VM state, but 'Shutoff' helps get that point across more
clearly.

> * Yes, I also changed "Shutdown" to "Shut Down", which is what GNOME is
> using in the panel.

Yes that looks good.

> Thanks for your time and consideration of these changes,

If you agree with the above changes, respin and resend the patch and
I'll apply it.

Thanks,
Cole

Old 01-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Cole Robinson

Cole Robinson wrote:
> [...]
> instance manager.py, so that will need to be changed.
>
>> I also updated the machine status terms to be "Shut Down" and "Off"
>> instead of "Shutdown" and "Shutoff", respectively, so they match.
>
> Actually the 'Shutdown' in this case was a mistake, that state means the
> VM is 'currently shutting down', so 'Shutting Down' would be
> appropriate. I'd also prefer to keep "Shutoff' as is: 'off' is pretty
> general and at first glance could confuse a user if they didn't realize
> it represented VM state, but 'Shutoff' helps get that point across more
> clearly.
>
>> * Yes, I also changed "Shutdown" to "Shut Down", which is what GNOME is
>> using in the panel.
>>

> Yes that looks good.
>
>> Thanks for your time and consideration of these changes,
>
> If you agree with the above changes, respin and resend the patch and

I didn't want these fixes to miss the release, so I tweaked the patch
with my above suggestions and committed.

http://hg.et.redhat.com/cgi-bin/hg-virt.cgi/applications/virt-manager--devel/rev/e2056d9074e5

Thanks,
Cole