Old 12-24-2007, 05:20 PM
"Eugene Ventimiglia"

Default cobbler: import of x86_64 repo creates i386 distro

I'm running:

cobbler import
--path=/mnt/os-install/exported/media/Linux/RH-4.0-ES-U4-AMD64/
--name=rhel4

and cobbler list reports:

distro rhel4-i386
profile rhel4-i386

Old 01-02-2008, 12:23 AM
Michael DeHaan

Eugene Ventimiglia wrote:

I'm running:

cobbler import
--path=/mnt/os-install/exported/media/Linux/RH-4.0-ES-U4-AMD64/
--name=rhel4

and cobbler list reports:

distro rhel4-i386
profile rhel4-i386

It sort of looks like a bug, but it isn't. Cobbler determines the
"arch" bits based on the paths you import. As the standard
rsync/build trees (well, RHEL really doesn't have them -- Fedora and
RHEL derivatives do), typically say x86_64 or i386 in them, it uses the
presense of these tokens in the part to ID the distro.

If you are importing from a DVD, this shouldn't happen.

Basically the names don't mean anything, so you can just do the
following and will be fine:

cobbler profile rename --name=rhel4-i386 --newname=rhel4-x86_64 --arch=x86
cobbler distro rename --name=rhel4-i386 --newname=rhel4-x86_64 --arch=x86

The arch field really isn't needed except for distinguishing that things
are /not/ ia64 boxes, which require different baremetal boot loader setup.

--Michael

Old 01-03-2008, 08:55 PM
"Eugene Ventimiglia"

Maybe I shouldn't be doing import at all, or doing a lot more
configuration; I tried what you said, and then ran import with the
RH4-i386 source and one distro over-wrote the other.

I need 2 seperate "distros" one for i386 and one for x86_64

How can I do this?

Old 01-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Michael DeHaan

Eugene Ventimiglia wrote:

Maybe I shouldn't be doing import at all, or doing a lot more
configuration; I tried what you said, and then ran import with the
RH4-i386 source and one distro over-wrote the other.

Yeah, it's probably because your local copy has some things named
differently than Cobbler would normally expect.

It expects to see x86/ or x86_64 actually in a path segment.

The names will likely be weird, but if you do the following, you can
import both arches in one swoop and then rename the one that gets set

to the wrong arch.

cobbler import --name=RHEL4 --path=/mnt/os-install/exported/media/Linux

That assumes they are both under the same parent.

--Michael

Old 01-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Michael DeHaan

Eugene Ventimiglia wrote:

Maybe I shouldn't be doing import at all, or doing a lot more
configuration; I tried what you said, and then ran import with the
RH4-i386 source and one distro over-wrote the other.

I need 2 seperate "distros" one for i386 and one for x86_64

How can I do this?

Quick add: if you have the DVD media around, importing from a mounted
DVD works great too.