Old 11-30-2008, 05:02 PM
"Jon Smith"

Default Connecting to a remote libvirtd host using virt-manger

virt-manager and libvirtd both functioning locally. I tried to use
virt-manager to access the same libvirtd host remotely but I'm having
some trouble.

I'm using qemu+ssh to connect to the remote host, but when I do,
virt-manager turns gray and becomes unresponsive, eventually the part
of the window showing the hosts goes blank. If I stop libvirtd on the
remote host, virt-manager refreshes itself and shows the libvirtd host
as connected, and even lists all the domains available. I'm also able
to connect using virsh and that works fine.

I can repeat this process over and over again, even after rebooting
the hosts involved. I've also run libvirtd with the --verbose flag
and can send the output (~80K) if that would help.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:41 AM
"Jon Smith"

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Cole Robinson <crobinso@redhat.com> wrote:
> Jon Smith wrote:
>> virt-manager and libvirtd both functioning locally. I tried to use
>> virt-manager to access the same libvirtd host remotely but I'm having
>> some trouble.
>>
>> I'm using qemu+ssh to connect to the remote host, but when I do,
>> virt-manager turns gray and becomes unresponsive, eventually the part
>> of the window showing the hosts goes blank. If I stop libvirtd on the
>> remote host, virt-manager refreshes itself and shows the libvirtd host
>> as connected, and even lists all the domains available. I'm also able
>> to connect using virsh and that works fine.
>>
>> I can repeat this process over and over again, even after rebooting
>> the hosts involved. I've also run libvirtd with the --verbose flag
>> and can send the output (~80K) if that would help.
>>

> What distro are you using? What virt-manager version? Distro package or
> compiled from source?
>
> How are you invoking virt-manager? Can you try running 'virt-manager
> --no-fork' from the command line, trying to connect to the remote host,
> and seeing if a password prompt pops up in the terminal?
>
> Thanks,
> Cole

Server is CentOS 5.2, client is fedora 9. Virt-manager version is
0.5.4 binary RPM from the Fedora repo. The server was Fedora 9 but I
installed CentOS 5.2 on it today and it's using the Xen kernel now and
having the same trouble. Again, locally, virt-manager works
fantastically, but when I try to connect remotely it gives me trouble.
I don't know how it could possibly matter, but I'm connecting back to
another location using vpnc and then opening virt-manager, so I've got
maybe 150ms latency to the libvirtd host.

I've been launching virt-manager from Applications -> System Tools ->
Virtual Machine Manager. Also I've launched it a few times with
something similar to: $virt-manager -c xen+ssh://10.2.30.12/system.
Now I've also tried: $virt-manager --no-fork -c
xen+ssh://10.2.30.12/system (no password prompt by the way). It seems
to be logging in because, like I said, if I stop libvirtd, I get a
list of the available guests on the libvirtd server. And actually
once I connect if I wait 15 or 20 minutes it will return a list. It
will just freeze up intermittently and it's never responsive to input.
If I try to click on a guest to select it, it will take 2 or 3
minutes before the selection takes effect and the item is highlighted.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Cole Robinson

Jon Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Cole Robinson <crobinso@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Jon Smith wrote:
>>> virt-manager and libvirtd both functioning locally. I tried to use
>>> virt-manager to access the same libvirtd host remotely but I'm having
>>> some trouble.
>>>
>>> I'm using qemu+ssh to connect to the remote host, but when I do,
>>> virt-manager turns gray and becomes unresponsive, eventually the part
>>> of the window showing the hosts goes blank. If I stop libvirtd on the
>>> remote host, virt-manager refreshes itself and shows the libvirtd host
>>> as connected, and even lists all the domains available. I'm also able
>>> to connect using virsh and that works fine.
>>>
>>> I can repeat this process over and over again, even after rebooting
>>> the hosts involved. I've also run libvirtd with the --verbose flag
>>> and can send the output (~80K) if that would help.
>>>
>> What distro are you using? What virt-manager version? Distro package or
>> compiled from source?
>>
>> How are you invoking virt-manager? Can you try running 'virt-manager
>> --no-fork' from the command line, trying to connect to the remote host,
>> and seeing if a password prompt pops up in the terminal?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Cole
>
> Server is CentOS 5.2, client is fedora 9. Virt-manager version is
> 0.5.4 binary RPM from the Fedora repo. The server was Fedora 9 but I
> installed CentOS 5.2 on it today and it's using the Xen kernel now and
> having the same trouble. Again, locally, virt-manager works
> fantastically, but when I try to connect remotely it gives me trouble.
> I don't know how it could possibly matter, but I'm connecting back to
> another location using vpnc and then opening virt-manager, so I've got
> maybe 150ms latency to the libvirtd host.
>
> I've been launching virt-manager from Applications -> System Tools ->
> Virtual Machine Manager. Also I've launched it a few times with
> something similar to: $virt-manager -c xen+ssh://10.2.30.12/system.
> Now I've also tried: $virt-manager --no-fork -c
> xen+ssh://10.2.30.12/system (no password prompt by the way). It seems
> to be logging in because, like I said, if I stop libvirtd, I get a
> list of the available guests on the libvirtd server. And actually
> once I connect if I wait 15 or 20 minutes it will return a list. It
> will just freeze up intermittently and it's never responsive to input.
> If I try to click on a guest to select it, it will take 2 or 3
> minutes before the selection takes effect and the item is highlighted.

Sounds like virt-manager is connecting fine, but the communication with
the remote libvirtd is so slow virt-manager is frozen solid waiting for
all the polling calls to return.

Can you try 'virsh --connect your_remote_uri' from the host you are
running virt-manager, and see if there is a large delay when connection,
listing domains, etc. If there is though, I'm not sure what could be
causing the delays.

- Cole