Old 11-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Stephan

Default Making a disk image created with virt-install qcow2 format from the start

Hi,

I've been creating images with virt-install (thanks by the way!)

I was just wondering, is there a way to specify the disk image file type
when you create the machine? I can convert it using tools from qemu, but
it's an extra step and I'd prefer to have the images as qcow2 from the
start if possible.

I'm doing this:

sudo mkdir /vservers/edi1-whatever1/ && sudo virt-install --hvm
--accelerate --os-type=linux --os-variant=debianEtch --arch=x86_64
--bridge=br0 --ram=256 --vcpus=4 --check-cpu --vnc --name=edi1-whatever1
--file=/vservers/edi1-whatever1/disk0.qcow2 --file-size=8
--cdrom=/dev/cdrom --debug

but the file isn't the right format:

file disk0.qcow2
disk0.qcow2: x86 boot sector; partition 1: ID=0x83, active, starthead 1,
startsector 63, 15952482 sectors; partition 2: ID=0x5, starthead 0,
startsector 15952545, 819315 sectors

instead of something like this:

file disk0.qcow2
disk0.qcow2: Qemu Image, Format: Qcow , Version: 2

Is there a way to specify the image type using virt-install? I've read the
man file and looked on the Internet, but can't find the answer. Sorry if
this is an easy question.

Thanks for your help,

Stephan