Old 11-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Bryan Kearney

Default RFC: Pushing virt-image data into Cobbler

As part of the adk work, we have some code which reads the
virt-image.xml file and pushes the metadata into cobbler. You can see
the code at [1].

I would like to push this down into the virt-tools. It does not really
fit as part of any of the existing tools. Would folks be ok with a
virt-cobbler tool? Or perhaps virt-publish?

-- bk

[1] http://tinyurl.com/5s5kje

Old 11-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Michael DeHaan

Bryan Kearney wrote:
As part of the adk work, we have some code which reads the
virt-image.xml file and pushes the metadata into cobbler. You can see
the code at [1].

I would like to push this down into the virt-tools. It does not really
fit as part of any of the existing tools. Would folks be ok with a
virt-cobbler tool? Or perhaps virt-publish?

-- bk

[1] http://tinyurl.com/5s5kje

Random thought -- If this can be run locally as root, and I guess it
can, you could just use the local Cobbler API and avoid the
authentication issues.

My preference would be to keep this part of the ADK package as it
wouldn't be useful unless someone installed the ADK and is probably
lightweight enough to keep in that package, but having it documented on
the Cobbler Wiki for folks to be able to find out about it would
definitely be interesting -- even if that's a pointer to the ADK Wiki.

FYI -- I imagine most folks here don't know what the ADK is. Bryan is
referring to http://thincrust.et.redhat.com -- he can give better
background info on this than I can, so I'll let him do that and explain
why it is interesting and what the Cobbler pieces do.

--Michael

Old 11-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Michael DeHaan

Michael DeHaan wrote:

Bryan Kearney wrote:
[...]

Actually folks here might, I thought this was posted to Cobbler list.
Heck, even /I/ could use the explanation though

--Michael