Old 11-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Andreas Schneider

Default Use netcat if found

Hi,

attached is a patch for virt-manager to use the netcat binary instead of nc if
it is found.

Cheers,

-- andreas

--
Andreas Schneider, SUSE Labs, http://www.suse.de/

Old 12-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Cole Robinson

Andreas Schneider wrote:
> Hi,
>
> attached is a patch for virt-manager to use the netcat binary instead of nc if
> it is found.
>

> Cheers,
>

> -- andreas

I'd rather keep things operating the same if 'nc' is present, which
would mean using 'netcat' only if 'nc' isn't available. Is there a
reason we should prefer netcat over nc, or is it just that your distro
provides one and not the other?

Thanks,
Cole

Old 12-01-2008, 02:26 PM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 10:12:52AM -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
> Andreas Schneider wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > attached is a patch for virt-manager to use the netcat binary instead of nc if
> > it is found.
> >

> > Cheers,
> >

> > -- andreas
> >

> I'd rather keep things operating the same if 'nc' is present, which
> would mean using 'netcat' only if 'nc' isn't available. Is there a
> reason we should prefer netcat over nc, or is it just that your distro
> provides one and not the other?

This used to be the case with Debian/Ubuntu, but they now provide the
'nc' binary too. In addition the 'netcat' binary they also ship does
not work with libvirt since it doesn't support UNIX sockets.

Finally the patch is wrong because its doing

+ if os.path.exists('/usr/bin/netcat'):
+ netcat = "netcat"

which is in the context of the machine virt-manager is running on, which
is totally bogus when connecting to a remote machine.

Daniel

Old 01-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Andreas Schneider

On Monday 01 December 2008 16:26:48 Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> Finally the patch is wrong because its doing
>
> + if os.path.exists('/usr/bin/netcat'):
> + netcat = "netcat"
>
> which is in the context of the machine virt-manager is running on, which
> is totally bogus when connecting to a remote machine.

Hi,

sorry forgot to send the fixed patch.

See the attached file

-- andreas