Old 11-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Cole Robinson

Default Virt-install to nfs disk

Henk van Lingen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to install a hvm guest on a nfs exported partition
> with virt-install? And if so, what shoud be the commandline options?
> I can't find anything about it. (Rhel 5.2)
>
> I.e. the relevant part of /etc/xen/huest should become something like:
>
> root = "/dev/nfs"
> nfs_server = '*.*.*.*'
> nfs_root = '/vol/vhost_someguest_root'

Unfortunately, no. These options aren't supported at the libvirt level
so virt-install doesn't know anything about them.

Thanks,
Cole

Old 11-25-2008, 09:28 AM
Henk van Lingen

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 10:35:02AM -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:

> > Is it possible to install a hvm guest on a nfs exported partition
> > with virt-install? And if so, what shoud be the commandline options?
> >
> > root = "/dev/nfs"
> > nfs_server = '*.*.*.*'
> > nfs_root = '/vol/vhost_someguest_root'
> >

> Unfortunately, no. These options aren't supported at the libvirt level
> so virt-install doesn't know anything about them.

Oke, so what would be the best way to install for example an ubuntu hvm
guest with a nfs_root filesystem on a RHEL 5 Xen system?

Most docs are about guest images on a local filesystem, but isn't it
reasonable to put your guests disk on a SAN-system? And doesn't give
NFS you additional integrity in cases of system (guest or dom0) crashes
(compared to for example iSCSI) ?

BTW: does anyone have pointers to docs about performance considerations
about hvm (VTx) versus paravirtualisation guests?

regards,

--
Henk van Lingen, Systems Administrator & DBA (o- -+
Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University. / |

Old 11-25-2008, 09:31 AM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 10:35:02AM -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
> Henk van Lingen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it possible to install a hvm guest on a nfs exported partition
> > with virt-install? And if so, what shoud be the commandline options?
> > I can't find anything about it. (Rhel 5.2)
> >
> > I.e. the relevant part of /etc/xen/huest should become something like:
> >
> > root = "/dev/nfs"
> > nfs_server = '*.*.*.*'
> > nfs_root = '/vol/vhost_someguest_root'
> >

> Unfortunately, no. These options aren't supported at the libvirt level
> so virt-install doesn't know anything about them.

Those options don't apply to HVM guests in RHEL-5 xen, and most other
released Xen - they'd only work for paravirt. This is because until
Xen 3.3.0 there was no support for HVm guests to boot a kernel+initrd
directly, and thus no way to pass kernel paramateres to the guest in
HVM

For paravirt, there is no need for these special parameters, you would
just pass them as regular kernel command line args, eg use the
--extra-args parameter to virt-install with something like

--extra-args="root=/dev/nfs nfs_server=1.2.3.4 nfs_root=/vol/someroot"

Daniel