-   -   Windows XP Mutiprocessor Support (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-linux-management-tools/198739-windows-xp-mutiprocessor-support.html)

"Sameer Naik" 11-24-2008 08:09 AM

Windows XP Mutiprocessor Support

Hi,
I have been using virt-manager for a long long time now.
Recently i have been facing an issue... when i try to install windows xp (sp3) with multiprocessor
support (i.e. vcpu allocation > 1) the system installs fine, but then virt-manager displays very high

cpu (24-30%) utilization, even when the xp guest is idle. also when i try to poweroff the system, i get the "It is now
Safe to poweroff your computer" message and also when this message is displayed the cpu utilzation is around

24-30%.

After posting a similar mail to the xend-users mailing list, i was advised to use ACPI=1 and APIC=1 in
the domU configuration. But since i am using virt-manager i have no idea where i should put these values and

whether i need to specify these before installing xp or whether it can be done after installing.

Or should i create ahand written domU configuration and use "xm create" to create the virtual machine?

Please Help

Cole Robinson 11-24-2008 02:43 PM

Sameer Naik wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been using virt-manager for a long long time now.
> Recently i have been facing an issue... when i try to install windows xp
> (sp3) with multiprocessor
> support (i.e. vcpu allocation > 1) the system installs fine, but then
> virt-manager displays very high
> cpu (24-30%) utilization, even when the xp guest is idle. also when i try to
> poweroff the system, i get the "It is now
> Safe to poweroff your computer" message and also when this message is
> displayed the cpu utilzation is around
> 24-30%.
>
> After posting a similar mail to the xend-users mailing list, i was advised
> to use ACPI=1 and APIC=1 in
> the domU configuration. But since i am using virt-manager i have no idea
> where i should put these values and
> whether i need to specify these before installing xp or whether it can be
> done after installing.
>
> Or should i create ahand written domU configuration and use "xm create" to
> create the virtual machine?
>
> Please Help

There isn't support in virt-manager for changing acpi and apic values
of an existing guest (yet).

You can change these values via the command line:

virsh dumpxml vmname > xml
edit xml: between the <os> block and the <clock> block, add
<features>
<apic/>
<acpi/>
</features>
virsh define xml

If you are using f9 or f10, the above can be simplified with the 'virsh
edit' command, which will alter the xml in place.

Thanks,
Cole

"Sameer Naik" 11-25-2008 09:39 AM

Windows XP Mutiprocessor Support

Thanks for the reply cole...
i would like to know whether i should do these changes (apic=1/acip=1) before installing windows xp (multiprocessor) or whether it can be done after windows xp is installed.

Thanks again

Regards
~Sameer

Cole Robinson 11-25-2008 01:01 PM

Sameer Naik wrote:
> Thanks for the reply cole...
> i would like to know whether i should do these changes (apic=1/acip=1)
> before installing windows xp (multiprocessor) or whether it can be done
> after windows xp is installed.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Regards
> ~Sameer

These changes can be done post install. In fact, if done at install
time, 32bit windows has some difficulty installing (it can be done,
but there are quirks) so post install is probably the way to go.

Thanks,
- Cole

"Sameer Naik" 11-26-2008 06:52 AM

Windows XP Mutiprocessor Support

Hello Cole.

I did try to adding acpi and apic to the domain cofiguration file (post-install), as you suggested.
But
after applying these changes, Virt-Manager would display a message
(saying something like function requires an argument). As i have faced
this error earlier (many times), i just deleted the cdrom device from
the machine and then the domain was booting.

However these changes did not make any difference to my problems (still high CPU load, no poweroff on shutdown).

So
i created a new xen guest by manually creating the configuration file
with apic and apic enabled and created the domain using the "xm create"
command. Then during the start of the installation i pressed F5 , and
selected "ACPI Multiprocessor" and continued installation. After this
everything is working great! All the problems have gone.

Following is my feedback on virt-manager:

I have been using
virt-manager for around 2 years now, and alway shyed away from the
manual configuration. But during my experience of using virt-manager i
have seen quite a lot of issues, which would require me to restart the
xend service.

For Example: If i shutdowm a windows/linux guest, and then try to power
it on again, virt-manager will say "error posting message" or something
of that sort. As a result of this i would need to restart the xend
service to power on the domain again (and for some reason i always
thought this was an issue with xend, until now). I have been following
this routine for a long time now.* Now i think the "xm" command is what
i need to consider while creating a virtual machine and basically use
virt-manager to handle the hot-plugging of devices, cloning domains,
etc.

As it is ovirt needs fedora 9, so haven't go to test that yet.
I'm hoping to see a better,stable version of virt-manager

Thanks for all your help.

Regards
~Sameer

"Sameer Naik" 11-26-2008 02:01 PM

Windows XP Mutiprocessor Support

HI Cole,

I have attached a copy of my virt-manager.log file. hope you find it useful.

You comments on KVM seem very inspiring, and im already set to give KVM a shot.
Before that i would like to know a few things?

-> What is faster Xen or KVM? I am aware that KVM particularly depends on the processor to support VT, which my processor does*
*** (Xeon 5000 Series).
-> Will KVM allow me to use multiprocessor support for Windows XP

-> Does KVM support paravirtualization? or does it matter at all?
-> Is the Migration of Xen fully virtualized guest to KVM possible?
-> Can i use virt-manager to manager KVM guests?

I am having a good feeling about KVM. Please help me decide.

--
BTW, just can't wait to upgrade my system to fedora 10. really excited about plymouth and the other speed ups in the fedora system. hoping that KDE 4 does not dissapoint me, in which case ill be sticking with fedora 8.

Thanks to all you Redhat guys (an the Community of course) for Fedora 10.

Regards
~Sameer

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 8:00 PM, Cole Robinson <crobinso@redhat.com> wrote:

Sameer Naik wrote:

> Hello Cole.

> I did try to adding acpi and apic to the domain cofiguration file

> (post-install), as you suggested.

> But after applying these changes, Virt-Manager would display a message

> (saying something like function requires an argument). As i have faced this

> error earlier (many times), i just deleted the cdrom device from the machine

> and then the domain was booting.

> However these changes did not make any difference to my problems (still high

> CPU load, no poweroff on shutdown).

Do you have a copy of this error? Check ~/.virt-manager/virt-manager.log

> So i created a new xen guest by manually creating the configuration file

> with apic and apic enabled and created the domain using the "xm create"

> command. Then during the start of the installation i pressed F5 , and

> selected "ACPI Multiprocessor" and continued installation. After this

> everything is working great! All the problems have gone.

> Following is my feedback on virt-manager:

> I have been using virt-manager for around 2 years now, and alway shyed away

> from the manual configuration. But during my experience of using

> virt-manager i have seen quite a lot of issues, which would require me to

> restart the xend service.

> For Example: If i shutdowm a windows/linux guest, and then try to power it

> on again, virt-manager will say "error posting message" or something of that

> sort. As a result of this i would need to restart the xend service to power

> on the domain again (and for some reason i always thought this was an issue

> with xend, until now). I have been following this routine for a long time

> now. *Now i think the "xm" command is what i need to consider while creating

> a virtual machine and basically use virt-manager to handle the hot-plugging

> of devices, cloning domains, etc.

> As it is ovirt needs fedora 9, so haven't go to test that yet.

> I'm hoping to see a better,stable version of virt-manager

The truth is, this has _nothing_ to do with virt-manager. virt-manager

does nearly all it's work through libvirt, which talks to xen.

All those errors you listed are coming straight from xen, and are

legitimate xen bugs. xen has been a maintenance nightmare. I know that

doesn't help any, but it's the truth. If you ever get the opportunity to

move to a kvm based setup, you'll find things work _much_ better in

fedora land (and you'll also be able to use newer distros F9 or F10).

Thanks,

Cole

Cole Robinson 11-26-2008 03:29 PM

Sameer Naik wrote:
> HI Cole,
>
> I have attached a copy of my virt-manager.log file. hope you find it useful.
>
> You comments on KVM seem very inspiring, and im already set to give KVM a
> shot.
> Before that i would like to know a few things?

A lot of these questions are outside the scope of this list, so let's
not do too much back and forth. This info can mostly be found via google.

> -> What is faster Xen or KVM? I am aware that KVM particularly depends on
> the processor to support VT, which my processor does
> (Xeon 5000 Series).

Current KVM and Xen fullvirt are analogous, I believe, though true xen
pv still has an edge performance wise. Granted I'm not an expert on any
of this stuff.

> -> Will KVM allow me to use multiprocessor support for Windows XP

Yes

> -> Does KVM support paravirtualization? or does it matter at all?

KVM has paravirtualized drivers for things like disk and network devices.

> -> Is the Migration of Xen fully virtualized guest to KVM possible?

If you mean doing an 'xm migrate' then no. But it should be possible to
move a FV vm from xen to kvm manually, though I'm not sure what errors
could pop up.

> -> Can i use virt-manager to manager KVM guests?

Yes, virt-manager has great support for kvm, and using kvm will allow
you to move to newer fedora versions which have newer (and much better)
versions of virt-manager.

Thanks,
Cole