Old 11-18-2008, 09:56 AM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

Default How to specify the IP VNC listens on when using virt-install remotely over SSH

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:50:35AM +0000, Stephan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install a virtual machine from a .iso DVD image but am having
> problems, as VNC is listening on 127.0.0.1 only and this is a headless
> server.
>
> Just as a bit of background information, I'm doing this via SSH on a Dell
> Poweredge server which has Ubuntu Server 8.10 on and libvirt
> 0.4.4-3ubuntu3. So far I've successfully virtualised Ubuntu using the
> Ubuntu vm-builder and can connect to the screens via VNC.
>
> The command I'm using to install from .iso images is:
>
> sudo virt-install --hvm --accelerate --os-type=linux --bridge=br0 --ram=256
> --vcpus=4 --check-cpu --name=centos1 --file-size=4 --vnc
> --file=/home/stephan/centos1 --location=/home/picseltech/centos.iso
>
> This is fine, it starts off the install and tells me I can connect via VNC
> to finish it off. However, unfortunately the VNC connection is only
> accessible through 127.0.0.1 and I'm doing this remotel

NB, if you're connecting via SSH, then there is not any need to actually
make it listen on a public interface. virt-viewer will automatically
tunnel VNC connection over SSH too, eg

eg, if you're using QEMU/KVM, then

virt-viewer --connect qemu+ssh://root@somehostname/system centos1

Will connect to VNC remotely over SSH.

> Is there a way to specify the VNC listening IP address for the new virtual
> machine?
>
> In /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf I put vnc_listen = "172.16.1.10" , but it doesn't
> pick that up.

Did you remember to restart the libvirtd daemon after making this change ?
This is the recommended way to make it listen on a public interface.

Daniel