Old 11-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Stephan

Default How to specify the IP VNC listens on when using virt-install remotely over SSH

Hi,

I'm trying to install a virtual machine from a .iso DVD image but am having
problems, as VNC is listening on 127.0.0.1 only and this is a headless
server.

Just as a bit of background information, I'm doing this via SSH on a Dell
Poweredge server which has Ubuntu Server 8.10 on and libvirt
0.4.4-3ubuntu3. So far I've successfully virtualised Ubuntu using the
Ubuntu vm-builder and can connect to the screens via VNC.

The command I'm using to install from .iso images is:

sudo virt-install --hvm --accelerate --os-type=linux --bridge=br0 --ram=256
--vcpus=4 --check-cpu --name=centos1 --file-size=4 --vnc
--file=/home/stephan/centos1 --location=/home/picseltech/centos.iso

This is fine, it starts off the install and tells me I can connect via VNC
to finish it off. However, unfortunately the VNC connection is only
accessible through 127.0.0.1 and I'm doing this remotely.

Is there a way to specify the VNC listening IP address for the new virtual
machine?

In /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf I put vnc_listen = "172.16.1.10" , but it doesn't
pick that up.

I've read the virt-install man page, but it only says how to specify the
port.

I can make it listen on the right IP by changing
/etc/libvirt/qemu/centos1.xml to this once the machine has been created:
<graphics type='vnc' port='-1' listen='172.16.1.10'/>
then redefining it through virsh and stopping/restarting the virtual
machine, but by that point the install has messed up.

Is there a way to specify what IP VNC listens on before the install starts?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Stephan