Old 11-12-2008, 03:55 PM
"Ruben Arutyunyan"

Default KVM, Virt-manager and virtio

Thanks, that helped alot. But now i have another issue...

My <interface> section now looks like that:
<interface type='bridge'>
<mac address='00:16:3e:04:a0:5f'/>
<source bridge='br0'/>
<model type='virtio'/>
</interface>

I log into win box using virt-manager console and start installing driver
for network card. And guest hangs. No errors, nothing. Just hangs completely
during copying driver files. Any ideas?

Ruben

Arutyunyan Ruben wrote:

Hello everyone,

i just recently installed KVM(on Ubuntu 8.04) and virt-manager was of
great help when i had to deploy few Win 2003 guests. The only problem i
have now is networking. I use bridged network and its fine xept one
thing - its 100 mbit. What i need is 1 Gbs link(my network card allows
that). Seems to fully utilise nw card i need to install virtio network
device, then drivers for it from Windows and be a happy. I found this
how-to
http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/tip-how-setup-windows-guest-paravirtual-network-drivers ,
but i dont understand how to make virtio device available for guest if i
dont start machine manually via command line, but want to incorporate it
into xml.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ruben

virt-manager doesn't yet support adding a virtio nic to
an existing guest, but we will soon. You'll have to make
the changes via the command line.

What you will want to do is:

- stop your vm
- virsh dumpxml YOURVM > xml

- edit xml, and add:

<model type='virtio'/>

to the <interface> block.

- virsh define xml
- start the vm

Thanks,
Cole

Old 11-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Cole Robinson

Ruben Arutyunyan wrote:
> Thanks, that helped alot. But now i have another issue...
>
> My <interface> section now looks like that:
> <interface type='bridge'>
> <mac address='00:16:3e:04:a0:5f'/>
> <source bridge='br0'/>
> <model type='virtio'/>
> </interface>
>
> I log into win box using virt-manager console and start installing driver
> for network card. And guest hangs. No errors, nothing. Just hangs completely
> during copying driver files. Any ideas?

No idea, could be a bug anywhere in the stack. Maybe
remove the net device from the VM entirely, install
the drivers, then reattach the nic. Assumably windows
will just detect it correctly at that point.

- Cole

Old 11-15-2008, 10:56 PM
"Ruben Arutyunyan"

Ok, i managed to install the driver. Tried all version for both XP and 2K i
could find. If driver install correctly then after more than zero acticity
it gives me BSOD with BUGCODE_NDIS_DRIVER. According to MS support pages
this means that "An Ethernet driver indicated that it received a packet by
using a packet descriptor that the protocol stack is currently using."

Anyone seen anything like that?

Ruben

Old 11-15-2008, 11:33 PM
"Emre Erenoglu"

Hi,

Ok, i managed to install the driver. Tried all version for both XP and 2K i could find. If driver install correctly then after more than zero acticity it gives me BSOD with BUGCODE_NDIS_DRIVER. According to MS support pages this means that "An Ethernet driver indicated that it received a packet by using a packet descriptor that the protocol stack is currently using."

Anyone seen anything like that?

I was using the virtio drivers with KVM (with command line or qtemu gui svn), on a Windows guest with virtio drivers. Did you try to launch the guest without virt-manager, ie command line, and test like that?

--
Emre

Old 11-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Dor Laor

wrote:

Ok,
i managed to install the driver. Tried all version for both XP and 2K i
could find. If driver install correctly then after more than zero
acticity it gives me BSOD with BUGCODE_NDIS_DRIVER. According to MS
support pages this means that "An Ethernet driver indicated that it
received a packet by using a packet descriptor that the protocol stack
is currently using."

Anyone seen anything like that?

I was using the virtio drivers with KVM (with command line or qtemu gui
svn), on a Windows guest with virtio drivers. Did you try to launch the
guest without virt-manager, ie command line, and test like that?

Are you using the latest virtio driver?

It can be found at http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki/VirtioWindowsDrivers

Please use the http://people.qumranet.com/dor/Drivers-0-3107.iso
one.

If you had used it, please send the exact scenario, kvm
userspace/kernel release.

Regards,

Dor.

--