Old 11-07-2008, 03:24 PM
"Paras pradhan"

Default converting full to para

virt-p2v was able to convert my centOS 5.2 physical machine to xen virtual machine and it runs great. Now, I am working on to convert this full virt machine to para virt .

Under my domU i have installed kernel-xen (since it is needed ) , and edited my grub menu to use the installed kernel.*

My grub menu file in domU looks like:
----kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.17.el5xen ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quietinitrd /initrd-2.6.18-92.1.17.el5xen.img * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

----
Here is my config file that I have used (for para):
-----name = "localhost_localdomain"uuid = "a57400f11c2138ec41087b80e813496e"
maxmem = 512memory = 512vcpus = 1bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"disk = [ "file:/freespace/p2v-localhost_localdomain-200811061823-hda.img,hda,w" ]
vif = [ "mac=00:16:3e:e6:3b:e2" ]>>>#keymap = "en-us"#serial = "pty"
extra = "xencons=tty"bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"vfb = [ *]vif = [ "mac=00:16:3e:17:03:9f,bridge=xenbr0" ]----

The error I am getting is:
--
[root@ha2 xen]# xm create /etc/xen/localhost_localdomain -cUsing config file "/etc/xen/localhost_localdomain".
Started domain localhost_localdomainPCI: Fatal: No PCI config space access function foundrtc: IRQ 8 is not free.PCI: Fatal: No PCI config space access function foundrtc: IRQ 8 is not free.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks !Paras.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Joey Boggs

I was using this process a few months back. Most likely what's happening
is that it's missing the disk controller modules in the in initrd so
it's not able to find your logical volumes. You'll will need to update
your /etc/modprobe.conf to use the paravirt modules (xennet/xenblk)
then rebuild the initrd. Should boot at that point.

-----
name = "localhost_localdomain"
uuid = "a57400f11c2138ec41087b80e813496e"
maxmem = 512
memory = 512
vcpus = 1
bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"
disk = [
"file:/freespace/p2v-localhost_localdomain-200811061823-hda.img,hda,w" ]

vif = [ "mac=00:16:3e:e6:3b:e2" ]
on_poweroff = "destroy"
on_reboot = "restart"
on_crash = "restart"

Red Hat nash version 5.1.19.6 <http://5.1.19.6> starting
Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
No volume groups found
Volume group "VolGroup00" not found
mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
---

Old 11-10-2008, 03:35 PM
"Paras pradhan"

virt-p2v was able to convert my centOS 5.2 physical machine to xen virtual machine and it runs great. Now, I am working on to convert this full virt machine to para virt .

Under my domU i have installed kernel-xen (since it is needed ) , and edited my grub menu to use the installed kernel. [snip]

Red Hat nash version 5.1.19.6 <http://5.1.19.6> starting

*Reading all physical volumes. *This may take a while...

*No volume groups found

*Volume group "VolGroup00" not found

mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'

setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory

setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory

setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory

switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory

---

I think you're missing the xenblk driver. * Try editing /etc/modprobe.conf to look like this:

* alias eth0 xennet

* alias scsi_hostadapter xenblk

and then

* mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-2.6.18-92.1.17.el5xen.img 2.6.18-92.1.17.el5xen

jch

Thanks !. It worked....

Paras.*