Old 11-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Frederik Himpe

Default Error setting up graphics device:list index out of range

On di, 2008-11-04 at 11:57 +0100, Frederik Himpe wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 02:57:21PM -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
>
> > > $ cat /etc/sysconfig/keyboard
> > > KEYBOARD=be
> > > KEYTABLE=be2-latin1
> >
> > Okay, this should work fine now upstream:
> >
> > http://hg.et.redhat.com/virt/applications/virtinst--devel?cs=bd2ec3b7b815
>
> Thanks. I applied this patch, and the error is now gone. However, it
> seems the keyboard is not working correctly in a new virtual machine. I
> start up the Mandriva boot.iso file to do a network installation. In the first
> steps of the net install cd, the installer expects US keyboard layout
> (it only asks what type of keyboard you have later once the installation
> GUI has been downloaded and started).
>
> If I try to enter numerical characters 1234567890 using the keys above
> the alphanumeric part of the keyboard (and typing as if I had a US
> keyboard instead of a Belgian one), I get k23b5s7890. For some reason,
> the 1, 4 and 6 are not working correctly.

Could this be a bug in gtk-vnc? However, with previous versions of
virt-manager and the same version of gtk-vnc, this was working fine I
think.

--
Frederik Himpe <fhimpe@telenet.be>

Old 11-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Frederik Himpe

On di, 2008-11-04 at 21:22 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 11:57:00AM +0100, Frederik Himpe wrote:

> > If I try to enter numerical characters 1234567890 using the keys above
> > the alphanumeric part of the keyboard (and typing as if I had a US
> > keyboard instead of a Belgian one), I get k23b5s7890. For some reason,
> > the 1, 4 and 6 are not working correctly.
>
> virt-manager tries to configure the guest keymap by mapping from the
> keytable in /etc/sysconfig/keyboard, to the keymaps available in
> QEMU. Check the running 'qemu' process to verify that there is a
> '-k' command line arg with the appropriate keymap set.

/usr/bin/qemu-kvm -S -M pc -m 512 -smp 1 -name Cooker -monitor pty
-no-reboot -boot d -drive
file=/home/frederik/VM/cooker.img,if=ide,index=0 -drive
file=/home/frederik/Mandriva/cooker/x86_64/install/images/boot.iso,if=ide,media=cdrom,index=2 -net nic,macaddr=54:52:00:38:64:98,vlan=0 -net tap,fd=12,script=,vlan=0,ifname=vnet0 -serial pty -parallel none -usb -vnc 127.0.0.1:0 -k fr-be -soundhw es1370

That seems right at first sight.

Also in a windows virtual machine, where the Windows keyboard is set to
Belgian, this problem does not happen. Only in this installer which
expects us-qwerty.

> With a newer enough KVM, and new enough GTK-VNC there is a protocol
> extension which passes raw scancodes across, avoiding this whole
> keymap mess - just need to configure keymap in guest OS to match the
> keyboard you use.

I'm using KVM 77 on Linux 2.6.27. Is there anything which should be
configured so that virt-manager works like this?

Thanks!
--
Frederik Himpe <fhimpe@telenet.be>