Old 11-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Frederik Himpe

Default Error setting up graphics device:list index out of range

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 02:57:21PM -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:

> > $ cat /etc/sysconfig/keyboard
> > KEYBOARD=be
> > KEYTABLE=be2-latin1
>
> Okay, this should work fine now upstream:
>
> http://hg.et.redhat.com/virt/applications/virtinst--devel?cs=bd2ec3b7b815

Thanks. I applied this patch, and the error is now gone. However, it
seems the keyboard is not working correctly in a new virtual machine. I
start up the Mandriva boot.iso file to do a network installation. In the first
steps of the net install cd, the installer expects US keyboard layout
(it only asks what type of keyboard you have later once the installation
GUI has been downloaded and started).

If I try to enter numerical characters 1234567890 using the keys above
the alphanumeric part of the keyboard (and typing as if I had a US
keyboard instead of a Belgian one), I get k23b5s7890. For some reason,
the 1, 4 and 6 are not working correctly.

--
Frederik Himpe

Old 11-04-2008, 08:22 PM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 11:57:00AM +0100, Frederik Himpe wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 02:57:21PM -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
>
> > > $ cat /etc/sysconfig/keyboard
> > > KEYBOARD=be
> > > KEYTABLE=be2-latin1
> >
> > Okay, this should work fine now upstream:
> >
> > http://hg.et.redhat.com/virt/applications/virtinst--devel?cs=bd2ec3b7b815
>
> Thanks. I applied this patch, and the error is now gone. However, it
> seems the keyboard is not working correctly in a new virtual machine. I
> start up the Mandriva boot.iso file to do a network installation. In the first
> steps of the net install cd, the installer expects US keyboard layout
> (it only asks what type of keyboard you have later once the installation
> GUI has been downloaded and started).
>
> If I try to enter numerical characters 1234567890 using the keys above
> the alphanumeric part of the keyboard (and typing as if I had a US
> keyboard instead of a Belgian one), I get k23b5s7890. For some reason,
> the 1, 4 and 6 are not working correctly.

virt-manager tries to configure the guest keymap by mapping from the
keytable in /etc/sysconfig/keyboard, to the keymaps available in
QEMU. Check the running 'qemu' process to verify that there is a
'-k' command line arg with the appropriate keymap set.

With a newer enough KVM, and new enough GTK-VNC there is a protocol
extension which passes raw scancodes across, avoiding this whole
keymap mess - just need to configure keymap in guest OS to match the
keyboard you use.

Daniel