Old 10-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Guido GŁnther

Default : virt-manager: add sparcline to vm/connection overview

Hi Cole,
On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 12:45:51PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> > + def in_out_vector_limit(self, data, limit):
> > + l = len(data)/2
> > + end = [l, limit][l > limit]
> > + if l > limit:
> > + data = data[0:end] + data[l:l+end]
>
> This piece here was giving me some trouble. If we
> shrink data here, then the line below will try to
> grab an out of bound index.
That's broken. Fixed in the updated patch series as you suggested.

[..snip..]
> Also, the scaling problems with the disk polling can be
> _really_ bad (though it's no fault of the code). If I have
> polling going once a second, and single guest running with
> six disks and a nic, the UI is completely locked up.
Doesn't look so bad here, but I agree that this can slow down things a
lot with plenty of machines - I made this tunable now, see below.

> So I'd like to hold off on committing the actual polling
> work until we put the gconf values in to disable this. It
> doesn't even need to wired up to the gui for now, I can
> do that after this its committed if you'd like (the prefs
> dialog needs an overhaul anyways, but that can come after).
I didn't want to introduce another gconf value if the gui needs an
overwhole anyway so I simply used the existing
vmlist-fiels/{network_traffic, disk_usage}. Are you o.k. with that?

I repost the whole remaining series.
Cheers,
-- Guido

Old 10-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Cole Robinson

Guido GŁnther wrote:
> Hi Cole,
> On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 12:45:51PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
>>> + def in_out_vector_limit(self, data, limit):
>>> + l = len(data)/2
>>> + end = [l, limit][l > limit]
>>> + if l > limit:
>>> + data = data[0:end] + data[l:l+end]
>> This piece here was giving me some trouble. If we
>> shrink data here, then the line below will try to
>> grab an out of bound index.
> That's broken. Fixed in the updated patch series as you suggested.
>
> [..snip..]
>> Also, the scaling problems with the disk polling can be
>> _really_ bad (though it's no fault of the code). If I have
>> polling going once a second, and single guest running with
>> six disks and a nic, the UI is completely locked up.
> Doesn't look so bad here, but I agree that this can slow down things a
> lot with plenty of machines - I made this tunable now, see below.
>
>> So I'd like to hold off on committing the actual polling
>> work until we put the gconf values in to disable this. It
>> doesn't even need to wired up to the gui for now, I can
>> do that after this its committed if you'd like (the prefs
>> dialog needs an overhaul anyways, but that can come after).
> I didn't want to introduce another gconf value if the gui needs an
> overwhole anyway so I simply used the existing
> vmlist-fiels/{network_traffic, disk_usage}. Are you o.k. with that?

Yep, that's fine for now. I'm probably going to make this
more fine grained in the near future, so that disabling
the column view in the manager window _doesn't_ mean skip
the polling: that will be a separate option.

My guess is, when we cut a new release, I will keep the disk
and net stats disabled as they are now, with a warning in the
prefs dialog that there may be scaling issues.

Anyways, I've applied the remaining patches. Thanks a lot
for the contribution!

- Cole