Old 10-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Orion Poplawski

Default "personal" use of virt- tools

I'd like to setup Windows guests (using qemu-kvm) on my users' laptops
that they can have access to. Ideally I'd like to provide an icon that
would startup the virtual machine and connect to it. Is
virt-manager/libvirtd and company the right tools for this job? If so,
how would I go about doing this? If not, any other suggestions?

Thanks!

--
Orion Poplawski
Technical Manager 303-415-9701 x222

Old 10-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Cole Robinson

Orion Poplawski wrote:
> I'd like to setup Windows guests (using qemu-kvm) on my users' laptops
> that they can have access to. Ideally I'd like to provide an icon that
> would startup the virtual machine and connect to it. Is
> virt-manager/libvirtd and company the right tools for this job? If so,
> how would I go about doing this? If not, any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks!

The libvirt stack could certainly help accomplish this. Assuming
you install the windows vm using virt-manager or virt-install
before hand, a simple script would do the job:

UUID=`virsh --connect qemu:///system domuuid vm-name`
virsh --connect qemu:///system start $UUID
virt-manager --connect qemu:///system
--show-domain-console=$UUID

This will pop up the machine console via virt-manager.
You will probably need the latest virt-manager version
for this to work correctly. This also has the added
benefit of allowing the user to connect/eject cdroms
to the guest, or pass a USB thumbdrive through as well.

You can also replace virt-manager with virt-viewer,
which will provide a graphical console but no CDROM/USB

virt-viewer --connect qemu:///system $UUID

If the user will be starting these VM's as a regular
user, they will need extra permissions to run the
above commands. On Fedora you can use PolicyKit with
libvirt (http://libvirt.org/auth.html#ACL_server_polkit)
or a typical sudo type setup would work as well.

Thanks,
Cole