Old 10-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Bryan Kearney

Default RFC On importing raw images

We are starting to look at more interesting use cases around bringing in
existing appliances into virt-manager. Joey has some interesting
questions about driver, but I wanted to bring up an easier one.

Some of public appliances which exist are raw disk images which can
easily be booted, but have no virt-image xml file. The user can of
course manually create the file, but I think it would be nice to have
the tooling help this. I could see one of the following solutions. Can
folks pipe in with comments on these or another approach?

(1) Create an "interactive" mode for virt-image which prompts the user.
(2) Modify virt-image to allow for all data normally the xml to be
passed at command line (example, add a --imagefile parameter)

(3)Create a simple pre-processor to achieve 1 or 2 above.

-- bk