FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora/Linux Management Tools

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Adam Huffman
 
Default virt-manager shared device problem

I'm having trouble adding a shared network device to a VM already
running on an F9 host.


What shows up in the interface is a single greyed out item - "eth0 (not
bridged)".


In virt-manager.log I see this traceback:

[Wed, 08 Oct 2008 13:30:59 virt-manager 22122] ERROR (virt-manager:141)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/addhardware.py", line 228,
in forward

if(self.validate(notebook.get_current_page()) != True):
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/addhardware.py", line 722,
in validate

net = self.get_config_network()
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/addhardware.py", line 322,
in get_config_network

return ["bridge", model.get_value(dev.get_active_iter(), 0)]
TypeError: iter must be a GtkTreeIter
None

The version in use is virt-manager-0.5.4-4.fc9.x86_64.

Adam

_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools
 
Old 10-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Cole Robinson
 
Default virt-manager shared device problem

Adam Huffman wrote:
> I'm having trouble adding a shared network device to a VM already
> running on an F9 host.
>
> What shows up in the interface is a single greyed out item - "eth0 (not
> bridged)".
>

The fact that the nonbridged entry is the initial selection and
is actually selectable is a bug, which is fixed upstream and I
believe the latest release.

virt-manager doesn't set up a bridge for you, one needs to be
preconfigured. Do you have a bridge already set up? If so:

What are the full contents of shared device drop down?
Output of `brctl show`?

Thanks,
Cole

_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools
 
Old 10-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Adam Huffman
 
Default virt-manager shared device problem

Cole Robinson wrote:

Adam Huffman wrote:

I'm having trouble adding a shared network device to a VM already
running on an F9 host.


What shows up in the interface is a single greyed out item - "eth0 (not
bridged)".





The fact that the nonbridged entry is the initial selection and
is actually selectable is a bug, which is fixed upstream and I
believe the latest release.

virt-manager doesn't set up a bridge for you, one needs to be
preconfigured. Do you have a bridge already set up? If so:



I didn't, but I have one now, having followed the instructions at:
http://poelcat.wordpress.com/2008/09/05/bridged-networking-in-virt-manager/
and the device is selectable in the interface.

Once added to a guest it does work.

However, now another guest on the same host, using the default NAT
network, seems to have lost its connection.

What are the full contents of shared device drop down?
Output of `brctl show`?



bridge name bridge id STP enabled interfaces
br0 8000.00188b1d9acb no eth0
vnet1
pan0 8000.000000000000 no
virbr0 8000.00ff3d160b55 yes vnet0




Adam

_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools
 
Old 10-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Cole Robinson
 
Default virt-manager shared device problem

Adam Huffman wrote:
> Cole Robinson wrote:
>> Adam Huffman wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having trouble adding a shared network device to a VM already
>>> running on an F9 host.
>>>
>>> What shows up in the interface is a single greyed out item - "eth0 (not
>>> bridged)".
>>>
>>>
>> The fact that the nonbridged entry is the initial selection and
>> is actually selectable is a bug, which is fixed upstream and I
>> believe the latest release.
>>
>> virt-manager doesn't set up a bridge for you, one needs to be
>> preconfigured. Do you have a bridge already set up? If so:
>>
>>
> I didn't, but I have one now, having followed the instructions at:
> http://poelcat.wordpress.com/2008/09/05/bridged-networking-in-virt-manager/
> and the device is selectable in the interface.
>
> Once added to a guest it does work.
>
> However, now another guest on the same host, using the default NAT
> network, seems to have lost its connection.

Hmm, not sure about that. Maybe try restarting libvirtd, the
network rules may need to be reapplied. If that doesn't work,
please file a bug against libvirt.

Thanks,
Cole

_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools
 
Old 10-08-2008, 05:12 PM
"Daniel P. Berrange"
 
Default virt-manager shared device problem

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 12:05:37PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> Adam Huffman wrote:
> > Cole Robinson wrote:
> >> Adam Huffman wrote:
> >>
> >>> I'm having trouble adding a shared network device to a VM already
> >>> running on an F9 host.
> >>>
> >>> What shows up in the interface is a single greyed out item - "eth0 (not
> >>> bridged)".
> >>>
> >>>
> >> The fact that the nonbridged entry is the initial selection and
> >> is actually selectable is a bug, which is fixed upstream and I
> >> believe the latest release.
> >>
> >> virt-manager doesn't set up a bridge for you, one needs to be
> >> preconfigured. Do you have a bridge already set up? If so:
> >>
> >>
> > I didn't, but I have one now, having followed the instructions at:
> > http://poelcat.wordpress.com/2008/09/05/bridged-networking-in-virt-manager/
> > and the device is selectable in the interface.
> >
> > Once added to a guest it does work.
> >
> > However, now another guest on the same host, using the default NAT
> > network, seems to have lost its connection.
>
> Hmm, not sure about that. Maybe try restarting libvirtd, the
> network rules may need to be reapplied. If that doesn't work,
> please file a bug against libvirt.

Don't restart the daemon - that'll kill all guests. it is sufficient to
send it SIGHUP, or 'service libvirtd reload' to make it restore iptables
rules.

This page is the canonical source for recommended libvirt networking
configurations:

http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking

If anyone has equivalent bridging setup notes for OS besides the
existing Debian/Ubutun/Fedora/RHEL notes, please add them. eg for
SLES / OpenSUSE or Gentoo

Daniel
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, London -o- http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://ovirt.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org -o- http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505 -o- F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 :|

_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:37 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org