Old 09-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Guido Günther

Default : virt-manager: start network before vm creation

Hi,
currently we don't check if a network is already running, when trying to
create a new machine in virt-manager. Attached patch starts the network
if it's not running instead of throwing an exception at the user,
adresses a Debian bug [1].
Cheers,
-- Guido

Old 09-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Cole Robinson

Guido Günther wrote:
> Hi,
> currently we don't check if a network is already running, when trying to
> create a new machine in virt-manager. Attached patch starts the network
> if it's not running instead of throwing an exception at the user,
> adresses a Debian bug [1].
> Cheers,
> -- Guido
>
> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=499867

Hmm, I'm not sure if I like this idea. Assumably the network is
'off' for a reason, so if the user doesn't know any better, I'd
rather not just turn it on without their potentially knowing.

I think the problem here is that it isn't made clear in the
drop down whether a virtual network is running or not. If we
listed all the nets, but prevented the inactive ones from
being selected (kind of like unbridged nics are presented)
hopefully the user would get the point that they need to
explicitly enable the network to use it. We could even allow
selecting the inactive network and then prompt to start
it.

virt-manager 0.6.0 also allows setting the network's autostart
value from the gui, so if the network being inactive was
simply an oversight, the user can change it easily.

Thanks,
Cole

Old 10-01-2008, 09:46 AM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 11:43:03AM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> Guido Günther wrote:
> > Hi,
> > currently we don't check if a network is already running, when trying to
> > create a new machine in virt-manager. Attached patch starts the network
> > if it's not running instead of throwing an exception at the user,
> > adresses a Debian bug [1].
> > Cheers,
> > -- Guido
> >
> > [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=499867
> >

> Hmm, I'm not sure if I like this idea. Assumably the network is
> 'off' for a reason, so if the user doesn't know any better, I'd
> rather not just turn it on without their potentially knowing.
>
> I think the problem here is that it isn't made clear in the
> drop down whether a virtual network is running or not. If we
> listed all the nets, but prevented the inactive ones from
> being selected (kind of like unbridged nics are presented)
> hopefully the user would get the point that they need to
> explicitly enable the network to use it. We could even allow
> selecting the inactive network and then prompt to start
> it.

Yep, as you say, there're two problems here. When creating the
VM we need to make it clear which networks are active, and which
are not - but still allow selection of an inactive network.

When starting a VM, we need to check fi the network is active. If
it is not, we should popup a confirmation dialog informing the
user, and /asking/ if we should automatically start the network
at this time.

Daniel

Old 10-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Guido Günther

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 10:46:41AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
[..snip..]
> Yep, as you say, there're two problems here. When creating the
> VM we need to make it clear which networks are active, and which
> are not - but still allow selection of an inactive network.
>
> When starting a VM, we need to check fi the network is active. If
> it is not, we should popup a confirmation dialog informing the
> user, and /asking/ if we should automatically start the network
> at this time.
Attached patch does just this - inactive networks are postfixed with
" (Inactive)" and when leaving the tab you're asked if you want to start
the newtork.
I'd split this into two but there doesn't seem to be a hg equivalient of
"git rebase -i; git reset HEAD^; git add -p" - so splitting patches is
much more cumbersome or am I missing something?
Cheers,
-- Guido

Old 10-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Cole Robinson

Guido Günther wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 10:46:41AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> [..snip..]
>> Yep, as you say, there're two problems here. When creating the
>> VM we need to make it clear which networks are active, and which
>> are not - but still allow selection of an inactive network.
>>
>> When starting a VM, we need to check fi the network is active. If
>> it is not, we should popup a confirmation dialog informing the
>> user, and /asking/ if we should automatically start the network
>> at this time.
> Attached patch does just this - inactive networks are postfixed with
> " (Inactive)" and when leaving the tab you're asked if you want to start
> the newtork.

Looks like you forgot to attach it

> I'd split this into two but there doesn't seem to be a hg equivalient of
> "git rebase -i; git reset HEAD^; git add -p" - so splitting patches is
> much more cumbersome or am I missing something?

I think my hg workflow is pretty rudimentary so I'm not sure,
sorry.

Thanks,
Cole

Old 10-02-2008, 02:35 PM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 03:21:41PM +0200, Guido G?nther wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 10:46:41AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> [..snip..]
> > Yep, as you say, there're two problems here. When creating the
> > VM we need to make it clear which networks are active, and which
> > are not - but still allow selection of an inactive network.
> >
> > When starting a VM, we need to check fi the network is active. If
> > it is not, we should popup a confirmation dialog informing the
> > user, and /asking/ if we should automatically start the network
> > at this time.
> Attached patch does just this - inactive networks are postfixed with
> " (Inactive)" and when leaving the tab you're asked if you want to start
> the newtork.
> I'd split this into two but there doesn't seem to be a hg equivalient of
> "git rebase -i; git reset HEAD^; git add -p" - so splitting patches is
> much more cumbersome or am I missing something?

I guess you're just doing commits straight ontop of a clone of the repo.
If so I'd recommend using Mercurial's patch queue extension - it provides
quilt-like functionality integrated into mercurial commands. I use it
to maintain & rebase a long stack of patches - you can move up & down
through the stack, rebasing at will, until you're ready to submit the
patch, or formally commit it to the repository.

Edit your $HOME/.hgrc and add

[extensions]
hgext.mq=

Then you can do 'hg qinit' to start a queue, and 'hg qnew NAME' to create
a new patch. You can do hg qnew multiple times to stack a series of patches,
and 'hg qpop' / 'hg qpush' to move up & down through the stack, and
'hg qseries' to view the set. See 'hg help' for all the other useful
commands - all prefixed with a 'q'

Daniel

Old 10-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Guido Günther

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 09:48:09AM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> Looks like you forgot to attach it
Attached now. Sorry.
-- Guido

Old 10-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Guido Günther

Hi,
attached is a very first shot at displaying disk and network I/O in
virt-manager. No nifty graphs or sparcline yet, but the numbers seem to
match to what the guest sees. Is this the right way to go?
Cheers,
-- Guido