Old 07-31-2008, 07:55 PM
Gary Richardson

Default problem with virt-manager

Running virt-manager on my Fedora 9 system
running kernel: 2.6.26-0.115.rc9.git2.fc10.x86_64 SMP

I get the following error:

gar xp]# virt-manager
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py", line 310,
in <module>

main()
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py", line 239,
in main

gtk.gdk.threads_init()
SystemError: error return without exception set

What prerequisites may be required that I might be missing?

--
Gary Richardson
Richardson Janitorial and More

Old 08-01-2008, 12:06 AM
Gary Richardson

my previous message:
>RunRunning virt-manager on my Fedora 9 system
>running kernel: 2.6.26-0.115.rc9.git2.fc10.x86_64 SMP
>
>I get the following error:
>
>gar xp]# virt-manager
>Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py", line
310, >in <module>

> main()
> File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py", line
239, >in main

> gtk.gdk.threads_init()
>SystemError: error return without exception set

I downloaded the source and loaded the debuging info.
strace provide the following:

open("/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py", O_RDONLY) = 7
write(2, " File "/usr/share/virt-manager/v"..., 72 File
"/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py", line 310, in <module>

) = 72
fstat(7, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=11835, ...}) = 0
mmap(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE,
MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x7ffddeb05000

read(7, "# -*- python -*-
#
# Copyright (C"..., 4096) = 4096
read(7, "level from gconf, or command line"..., 4096) = 4096
read(7, ", "uuid", value)
s = "..., 4096) = 3643
write(2, " "..., 4 ) = 4
write(2, "main()
"..., 7main()
) = 7
close(7) = 0
munmap(0x7ffddeb05000, 4096) = 0
open("/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py", O_RDONLY) = 7
write(2, " File "/usr/share/virt-manager/v"..., 68 File
"/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py", line 239, in main

) = 68
fstat(7, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=11835, ...}) = 0
mmap(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE,
MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x7ffddeb05000

read(7, "# -*- python -*-
#
# Copyright (C"..., 4096) = 4096
read(7, "level from gconf, or command line"..., 4096) = 4096
read(7, ", "uuid", value)
s = "..., 4096) = 3643
write(2, " "..., 4 ) = 4
write(2, "gtk.gdk.threads_init()
"..., 23gtk.gdk.threads_init()
) = 23
close(7) = 0
munmap(0x7ffddeb05000, 4096) = 0
write(2, "SystemError"..., 11SystemError) = 11
write(2, ": "..., 2: ) = 2
write(2, "error return without exception se"..., 34error
return without exception set) = 34

write(2, "
"..., 1
) = 1
close(3) = 0
munmap(0x7ffddeb0d000, 4096) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGINT, {SIG_DFL}, {0x3e230ea800, [],
SA_RESTORER, 0x3e0a80f120}, 8) = 0

exit_group(1) = ?

Old 08-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Cole Robinson

Gary Richardson wrote:
> my previous message:
> >RunRunning virt-manager on my Fedora 9 system
> >running kernel: 2.6.26-0.115.rc9.git2.fc10.x86_64 SMP
> >
> >I get the following error:
> >
> >gar xp]# virt-manager
> >Traceback (most recent call last):
> > File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py", line
> 310, >in <module>
> > main()
> > File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py", line
> 239, >in main
> > gtk.gdk.threads_init()
> >SystemError: error return without exception set

I'm really not sure what could be causing this error. If
threads_init() is causing problems I'm inclined to say
it's not a virt-manager issue.

Have you only recently hit this problem? Or is this your
first time trying out the app?

- Cole

Old 08-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Adam Huffman

Cole Robinson wrote:

Gary Richardson wrote:

my previous message:
>RunRunning virt-manager on my Fedora 9 system
>running kernel: 2.6.26-0.115.rc9.git2.fc10.x86_64 SMP
>
>I get the following error:
>
>gar xp]# virt-manager
>Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py", line
310, >in <module>

> main()
> File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py", line
239, >in main

> gtk.gdk.threads_init()
>SystemError: error return without exception set

I'm really not sure what could be causing this error. If
threads_init() is causing problems I'm inclined to say
it's not a virt-manager issue.

Have you only recently hit this problem? Or is this your
first time trying out the app?

- Cole

I saw this yesterday on a new install, which had been upgraded to
Rawhide. That said, the packages seem to be the same as the F9 ones.

As the original poster is also running a Rawhide kernel, perhaps that's
part of the problem?

Adam

Old 04-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Paul

Hi,

I've managed to get virt-manager to run under rawhide (after the parted
problem was fixed), and can create the fake drive and install XP.

Only problem is that when XP does the reset after the first part of the
install, I get

Booting from Hard Disk...

A disk read error occurred.

Any ideas on this? I'm using the default settings for everything.

TTFN

Paul
--
Biggles was quietly reading his favourite book when Algy burst through
the door. Distracted for a moment, Biggles surveyed what had happened

Old 04-03-2010, 12:14 AM
Alexander Dalloz

Am 03.04.2010 01:02, schrieb Paul:
> Hi,
>
> I've managed to get virt-manager to run under rawhide (after the parted
> problem was fixed), and can create the fake drive and install XP.
>
> Only problem is that when XP does the reset after the first part of the
> install, I get
>
> Booting from Hard Disk...
>
> A disk read error occurred.
>
> Any ideas on this? I'm using the default settings for everything.
>
> TTFN
>
> Paul

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/66135

Alexander

Old 04-03-2010, 12:14 AM
Alexander Dalloz

Old 04-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Paul

Hi,

> > Only problem is that when XP does the reset after the first part of the
> > install, I get
> >
> > Booting from Hard Disk...
> >
> > A disk read error occurred.
> >
> > Any ideas on this? I'm using the default settings for everything.

> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/66135

That would explain it. Any ideas on how to pass -hdc into virt-manager?
I have my virtual image on /dev/sdc1 (which replaces my
usual /home/paul/Documents directory)

TTFN

Paul