Old 07-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Michael DeHaan

Default Using libvirt-remote with python-virtinst?

Today I tried using a remote connection string within koan. The idea
here is to be able to use koan against boxes that have libvirtd
installed but do not have koan installed.

guest =
virtinst.FullVirtGuest(hypervisorURI="qemu+ssh://root@drwily.rdu.redhat.com/system",
...)

This works fine up until the point where it wants to create the disk.

I heard on #ovirt that there may be some work being done to make the API
of python-virtinst be smart enough to be able to create remote disks?

If so, that would be very cool to have, as it would mean we could do
cobbler-based installs of virtual machines with a minimum of installed
tooling on the guest.

--Michael

Old 07-29-2008, 08:50 AM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 05:48:36PM -0400, Michael DeHaan wrote:
> Today I tried using a remote connection string within koan. The idea
> here is to be able to use koan against boxes that have libvirtd
> installed but do not have koan installed.
>
> guest =
> virtinst.FullVirtGuest(hypervisorURI="qemu+ssh://root@drwily.rdu.redhat.com/system",
> ...)
>
> This works fine up until the point where it wants to create the disk.
>
> I heard on #ovirt that there may be some work being done to make the API
> of python-virtinst be smart enough to be able to create remote disks?

It needs virtinst to be fully ported to use the storage APIs, which is
something Cole is working on right now. There's probably a few other
places where we still hit local machine state, but that can be cleaned
up by use of the capabilities XML and other libvirt APIs (eg BlockPeek
to check for MBR signature).

Daniel

Old 07-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Michael DeHaan

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

[...]

Excellent. I heard a bit of this from Hugh, but we wanted to confirm it
would work like this.

I'll stay tuned.

--Michael

Old 07-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Cole Robinson

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 05:48:36PM -0400, Michael DeHaan wrote:
>> Today I tried using a remote connection string within koan. The idea
>> here is to be able to use koan against boxes that have libvirtd
>> installed but do not have koan installed.
>>
>> guest =
>> virtinst.FullVirtGuest(hypervisorURI="qemu+ssh://root@drwily.rdu.redhat.com/system",
>> ...)
>>
>> This works fine up until the point where it wants to create the disk.
>>
>> I heard on #ovirt that there may be some work being done to make the API
>> of python-virtinst be smart enough to be able to create remote disks?
>
> It needs virtinst to be fully ported to use the storage APIs, which is
> something Cole is working on right now. There's probably a few other
> places where we still hit local machine state, but that can be cleaned
> up by use of the capabilities XML and other libvirt APIs (eg BlockPeek
> to check for MBR signature).
>
> Daniel

Just FYI, that is what I've been particularly working on this week. I'll
probably have a working RFC to post by Wednesday so we can discuss
any actual cli and api extensions.

- Cole