-   -   Installing cobbler on a debian system (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-linux-management-tools/13175-installing-cobbler-debian-system.html)

"Javier Palacios" 12-05-2007 07:05 PM

Installing cobbler on a debian system

Hello,

I want to install cobbler on a debian etch system (not yet to deploy
debian systems). Is there any documentation or advices about it ?

Javier Palacios

Michael DeHaan 12-05-2007 07:51 PM

Javier Palacios wrote:

Hello,

I want to install cobbler on a debian etch system (not yet to deploy
debian systems). Is there any documentation or advices about it ?

Javier Palacios

Not really (it's been used to deploy Debian systems though, see "cobbler
distro add --breed=debian"), but if you run into anything, we can

probably work through them.

I believe "make install" from a source checkout is largely functional on
Debian, though there are some places where the code relies on
/sbin/service, createrepo,

and some other tools.

(It would be much happier on a F8 machine.)

--Michael

"Javier Palacios" 12-06-2007 12:55 PM

Installing cobbler on a debian system

> Not really (it's been used to deploy Debian systems though, see "cobbler
> distro add --breed=debian"), but if you run into anything, we can
> probably work through them.

Most of our machines are debian/ubuntu, so that was the second step.
The manpage states "limited experimental support" for debian/suse but
for your comments I understand that it works right. The "distro add"
arguments resembles those for a syslinux/pxeboot. Is it posible also
to import debian packages, manage debian repos and so on?

> I believe "make install" from a source checkout is largely functional on
> Debian, though there are some places where the code relies on
> /sbin/service, createrepo,
> and some other tools.

Yes, `make install` did work with just a couple of easy requirements.
But locates some files (apache config for example) in places where
debian does not look for them. It also requires rhpl (easy but not
available as official debian package), and other things to come ....
Although I'll probably setup a fedora box, I'll keep trying to install
& run cobbler from a debian system. If you think it might be valuable,
I'll keep you/the list informed about the (expected) progress.

Javi

Michael DeHaan 12-06-2007 02:47 PM

Javier Palacios wrote:

Not really (it's been used to deploy Debian systems though, see "cobbler
distro add --breed=debian"), but if you run into anything, we can
probably work through them.

Most of our machines are debian/ubuntu, so that was the second step.
The manpage states "limited experimental support" for debian/suse but
for your comments I understand that it works right. The "distro add"
arguments resembles those for a syslinux/pxeboot. Is it posible also
to import debian packages, manage debian repos and so on?

No support for apt repos, though patches to add them can be applied.

I believe "make install" from a source checkout is largely functional on
Debian, though there are some places where the code relies on
/sbin/service, createrepo,
and some other tools.

Yes, `make install` did work with just a couple of easy requirements.
But locates some files (apache config for example) in places where
debian does not look for them. It also requires rhpl (easy but not
available as official debian package), and other things to come ....

rhpl is there to support eventual translation, should we ever want to
translate strings.

Although I'll probably setup a fedora box, I'll keep trying to install
& run cobbler from a debian system. If you think it might be valuable,
I'll keep you/the list informed about the (expected) progress.

Sounds good.

Javi

"Javier Palacios" 12-07-2007 02:04 PM

Installing cobbler on a debian system

> > Most of our machines are debian/ubuntu, so that was the second step.
> > The manpage states "limited experimental support" for debian/suse but
> > for your comments I understand that it works right. The "distro add"
> > arguments resembles those for a syslinux/pxeboot. Is it posible also
> > to import debian packages, manage debian repos and so on?
>
> No support for apt repos, though patches to add them can be applied.

So do any patch exists? (I don't care if they are experimental, as
right now I just plan make experiments with them)

> > Although I'll probably setup a fedora box, I'll keep trying to install
> > & run cobbler from a debian system. If you think it might be valuable,
> > I'll keep you/the list informed about the (expected) progress.
>
> Sounds good.

Debian packages are available at
http://usuarios2.arsystel.com/javierpb/cobbler/
they need some improvements, but they allow to import a Fedora8 DVD
into cobbler (no test possible until next week).

Although it might due to this non-standard setup, I have noticed that
just after install cobbler and before importing anything, only 'list
kickstarts' works in the web interface, and any other list action
produces a python exception that is shown in the browser.

Javier Palacios

Michael DeHaan 12-10-2007 02:28 PM

Javier Palacios wrote:

Most of our machines are debian/ubuntu, so that was the second step.
The manpage states "limited experimental support" for debian/suse but
for your comments I understand that it works right. The "distro add"
arguments resembles those for a syslinux/pxeboot. Is it posible also
to import debian packages, manage debian repos and so on?

No support for apt repos, though patches to add them can be applied.

So do any patch exists? (I don't care if they are experimental, as
right now I just plan make experiments with them)

None exist.

Although I'll probably setup a fedora box, I'll keep trying to install
& run cobbler from a debian system. If you think it might be valuable,
I'll keep you/the list informed about the (expected) progress.

Sounds good.

Debian packages are available at
http://usuarios2.arsystel.com/javierpb/cobbler/
they need some improvements, but they allow to import a Fedora8 DVD
into cobbler (no test possible until next week).

Although it might due to this non-standard setup, I have noticed that
just after install cobbler and before importing anything, only 'list
kickstarts' works in the web interface, and any other list action
produces a python exception that is shown in the browser.

Sounds like it's your setup to me. If you want to forward details
(off-list) I'll

take a look at it.

Javier Palacios