Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora/Linux Management Tools (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-linux-management-tools/)
-   -   Problem Creating VMs with Virt-Manager (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-linux-management-tools/13136-problem-creating-vms-virt-manager.html)

"Nick Couchman" 12-05-2007 06:16 PM

Problem Creating VMs with Virt-Manager
 
I'm trying to use virt-manager to create a new VM. *The problem is that, since my machine uses VLAN tagging and has several VLAN interfaces, I've had to customize the bridges on the machine. *So, I have VLAN interfaces vlan10, vlan100, vlan30, vlan110, etc., and bridges to match - xenbr10, xenbr100, xenbr30, xenbr110, etc. *When I try to create a new VM, though, in virt-manager 0.5.2, once I get to the networking tab I see an option for a virtual network (which has nothing listed in the drop-down box) and an option for physical network (which has eth0 listed but grayed out with reason "no bridge exists"). *So, I can't create a VM because I can't get past this page!! *Could someone help me figure out how to change the listing on this page such that my xenbr interfaces show up?




Thanks,


Nick Couchman




_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools

"Daniel P. Berrange" 12-05-2007 06:31 PM

Problem Creating VMs with Virt-Manager
 
On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 12:16:59PM -0700, Nick Couchman wrote:
> I'm trying to use virt-manager to create a new VM. The problem is that,
> since my machine uses VLAN tagging and has several VLAN interfaces, I've
> had to customize the bridges on the machine. So, I have VLAN interfaces
> vlan10, vlan100, vlan30, vlan110, etc., and bridges to match - xenbr10,
> xenbr100, xenbr30, xenbr110, etc. When I try to create a new VM, though,
> in virt-manager 0.5.2, once I get to the networking tab I see an option
> for a virtual network (which has nothing listed in the drop-down box) and
> an option for physical network (which has eth0 listed but grayed out with
> reason "no bridge exists"). So, I can't create a VM because I can't get
> past this page!! Could someone help me figure out how to change the
> listing on this page such that my xenbr interfaces show up?

I'm afraid virt-manager doesn't support installing VMs connected to VLAN
interfaces at this time. I'd like to get support for doing this in the UI
but I don't have a network with VLANs so can't test. If anyone wants to
contribute patches to make it work I'd welcome them. Its mostly just a
problem of figuring out how to enumerate the list of bridges attached to
VLAN interfaces.

In the meantime the best workaround I can offer is to use virt-install
command line for installing the VMs initially. This lets you explicitly
enter a bridge name as a command line flag.

Regards,
Dan.
--
|=- Red Hat, Engineering, Emerging Technologies, Boston. +1 978 392 2496 -=|
|=- Perl modules: http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ -=|
|=- Projects: http://freshmeat.net/~danielpb/ -=|
|=- GnuPG: 7D3B9505 F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 -=|

_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools

"Nick Couchman" 12-05-2007 06:39 PM

Problem Creating VMs with Virt-Manager
 
Can you point me in the direction of the file where this would be implemented (where the current code exists for pulling network info)?

>>> On Wed, Dec 5, 2007 at 12:31 PM, "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@redhat.com> wrote:




On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 12:16:59PM -0700, Nick Couchman wrote:
> I'm trying to use virt-manager to create a new VM.**The problem is that,
> since my machine uses VLAN tagging and has several VLAN interfaces, I've
> had to customize the bridges on the machine.**So, I have VLAN interfaces
> vlan10, vlan100, vlan30, vlan110, etc., and bridges to match - xenbr10,
> xenbr100, xenbr30, xenbr110, etc.**When I try to create a new VM, though,
> in virt-manager 0.5.2, once I get to the networking tab I see an option
> for a virtual network (which has nothing listed in the drop-down box) and
> an option for physical network (which has eth0 listed but grayed out with
> reason "no bridge exists").**So, I can't create a VM because I can't get
> past this page!!**Could someone help me figure out how to change the
> listing on this page such that my xenbr interfaces show up?

I'm afraid virt-manager doesn't support installing VMs connected to VLAN
interfaces at this time. I'd like to get support for doing this in the UI
but I don't have a network with VLANs so can't test. If anyone wants to
contribute patches to make it work I'd welcome them. Its mostly just a
problem of figuring out how to enumerate the list of bridges attached to
VLAN interfaces.

In the meantime the best workaround I can offer is to use**virt-install
command line for installing the VMs initially. This lets you explicitly
enter a bridge name as a command line flag.

Regards,
Dan.
--
|=- Red Hat, Engineering, Emerging Technologies, Boston.**+1 978 392 2496 -=|
|=-***********Perl modules: http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/**************-=|
|=-***************Projects: http://freshmeat.net/~danielpb/***************-=|
|=-**GnuPG: 7D3B9505***F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505**-=|

_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools






_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools

"Daniel P. Berrange" 12-05-2007 06:44 PM

Problem Creating VMs with Virt-Manager
 
On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 12:39:36PM -0700, Nick Couchman wrote:
> Can you point me in the direction of the file where this would be
> implemented (where the current code exists for pulling network info)?

Its in the detect_network_devices()/_device_added() methods for the file
/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py. Basically the create
new VM wizard will show any device for which there is a vmmNetDevice()
registered.


Dan.
--
|=- Red Hat, Engineering, Emerging Technologies, Boston. +1 978 392 2496 -=|
|=- Perl modules: http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ -=|
|=- Projects: http://freshmeat.net/~danielpb/ -=|
|=- GnuPG: 7D3B9505 F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 -=|

_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:49 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.