Old 07-14-2008, 06:45 PM
John Levon

Default virt-convert: Add "virt-instance" formatter

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 12:55:23PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:

> So I'm not generally opposed to this idea, however the way this patch
> implements it is a massive duplication of the virtinst apis, so
> NACK in this current form.

I'm not sure it's "massive". Are you saying I should be using
setup_install, etc. to generate the XML? This will leave me with no
ability to modify what gets created, unless I'm misunderstanding you.
I admit I'm not very familiar with these APIs.

I don't want to use virt-image directly because of its
information-losing properties.

I'm happy to do this if it's workable, could do with some implementation
guidance.

> Like Dan mentioned before, if we allow converting to libvirt xml, we
> need to make it clear that the generated config is really only
> applicable on the machine it is generated.

Surely, only applicable to machine it's generated on OR the connection it's
connected to, if one's provided?

I agree we need to make this clear. Perhaps a warning is appropriate if
output is in any format other than virt-image (or OVF)?

> A connection must be required in order to do the conversion so we can
> use the virtinst apis and check capabilities xml.

I'm a bit unclear on the need for this to be a requirement. It just
seems to be placing unnecessary obstacles in the user's way. You're
basically turning the warning above into an error for many situations.

(Yes, I know I don't have a connection option yet, hopefully I'll be
adding this soon.)

regards
john