FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora/Linux Management Tools

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Rainer Duffner
 
Default Question about cobbler - variable substitution

Hi,

I'm doing some tests with cobbler.
I created a kickstart-template with things like:

network --bootproto=static --device=$ksmetadev --onboot=on --ip=$ksip
--netmask=$ksnetmask --gateway=$ksgw --nameserver=$ksns

clearpart --all --drives=sda
part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=100 --ondisk=sda
part pv.2 --size=0 --grow --ondisk=sda
volgroup VolGroup00 --pesize=32768 pv.2
logvol swap --fstype swap --name=LogVol01 --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=512
--grow --maxsize=$ksmaxswap
logvol / --fstype ext3 --name=root --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=$ksmaxslash
logvol /var/log --fstype ext3 --name=varlog --vgname=VolGroup00
--size=$ksmaxvarlog
logvol /var/spool --fstype ext3 --name=varspool --vgname=VolGroup00
--size=$ksmaxvarspool --grow


In the "system" config in the webinterface, I have a corresponding
ksmeta entry:
ksgw=192.168.1.1 ksmaxslash=5000 ksmaxvarspool=2048 ksip=192.168.1.3
ksmetadev=eth0 ksnetmask=255.255.255.0 ksmaxswap=1100
kshostname=host1.intern ksmaxvarlog=2048 ksns=192.168.1.2

I can see that the kickstart file that is being fetched doesn't have all
the expansions, yet.

It's fetched from
http://server//cblr/kickstarts/RHEL5.1-i386-mailserver/ks.cfg

Shouldn't the file rather be fetched from the kickstats_sys
subdirectory, where a seemingly correctly built kickstart-file is sitting?
ksvalidator clears the file from the kickstarts_sys subdirectory (but
not, obviously, from the "kickstarts" subdirectory.


Can somebody explain this?



cheers,
Rainer

_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools
 
Old 12-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Michael DeHaan
 
Default Question about cobbler - variable substitution

Rainer Duffner wrote:

Hi,

I'm doing some tests with cobbler.
I created a kickstart-template with things like:

network --bootproto=static --device=$ksmetadev --onboot=on --ip=$ksip
--netmask=$ksnetmask --gateway=$ksgw --nameserver=$ksns

clearpart --all --drives=sda
part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=100 --ondisk=sda
part pv.2 --size=0 --grow --ondisk=sda
volgroup VolGroup00 --pesize=32768 pv.2
logvol swap --fstype swap --name=LogVol01 --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=512
--grow --maxsize=$ksmaxswap
logvol / --fstype ext3 --name=root --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=$ksmaxslash
logvol /var/log --fstype ext3 --name=varlog --vgname=VolGroup00
--size=$ksmaxvarlog
logvol /var/spool --fstype ext3 --name=varspool --vgname=VolGroup00
--size=$ksmaxvarspool --grow


In the "system" config in the webinterface, I have a corresponding
ksmeta entry:
ksgw=192.168.1.1 ksmaxslash=5000 ksmaxvarspool=2048 ksip=192.168.1.3
ksmetadev=eth0 ksnetmask=255.255.255.0 ksmaxswap=1100
kshostname=host1.intern ksmaxvarlog=2048 ksns=192.168.1.2

I can see that the kickstart file that is being fetched doesn't have all
the expansions, yet.

It's fetched from
http://server//cblr/kickstarts/RHEL5.1-i386-mailserver/ks.cfg



How are you installing?

PXE menus? Koan with --profile? These use the kickstart rendering.

PXE with a set MAC address? Koan with --system? These use the
kickstarts_sys rendering.




_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools
 
Old 12-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Rainer Duffner
 
Default Question about cobbler - variable substitution

Am 04.12.2007 um 19:42 schrieb Michael DeHaan:



How are you installing?

PXE menus? Koan with --profile? These use the kickstart
rendering.


PXE with a set MAC address? Koan with --system? These use the
kickstarts_sys rendering.





Well, when it PXE-TFTP-boots, I get into a menu - but I actually
don't want to do that ;-)

I want to use a MAC-based system.
Did I do something wrong? I just added the systems via the web-GUI
and assumed it would select the right system via the MAC-address I
entered.



cheers,
Rainer
--
Rainer Duffner
CISSP, LPI, MCSE
rainer@ultra-secure.de


_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools
 
Old 12-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Michael DeHaan
 
Default Question about cobbler - variable substitution

Rainer Duffner wrote:


Am 04.12.2007 um 19:42 schrieb Michael DeHaan:



How are you installing?

PXE menus? Koan with --profile? These use the kickstart rendering.

PXE with a set MAC address? Koan with --system? These use the
kickstarts_sys rendering.





Well, when it PXE-TFTP-boots, I get into a menu - but I actually don't
want to do that ;-)

I want to use a MAC-based system.
Did I do something wrong? I just added the systems via the web-GUI and
assumed it would select the right system via the MAC-address I entered.


It will ... provided the MAC addresses match up. It sounds like they
might not.


If you have the MAC entry, it should boot directly to whatever the
system is assigned to and not sit on the menu.



_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools
 
Old 12-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Rainer Duffner
 
Default Question about cobbler - variable substitution

Am 04.12.2007 um 21:05 schrieb Michael DeHaan:


Rainer Duffner wrote:



Well, when it PXE-TFTP-boots, I get into a menu - but I actually
don't want to do that ;-)

I want to use a MAC-based system.
Did I do something wrong? I just added the systems via the web-GUI
and assumed it would select the right system via the MAC-address I
entered.


It will ... provided the MAC addresses match up. It sounds like
they might not.


If you have the MAC entry, it should boot directly to whatever the
system is assigned to and not sit on the menu.





Well, the menu comes after I type "menu".
This was already the case in my test-environment, but it generally
worked there because I was hardcoding the partition-information and
the network-configuration was at the profile-level (which is a
mistake, of course).


Here's from the "systems" file in /var/lib/cobbler/ :

-
depth: 2
interfaces:
intf0:
dhcp_tag: '
gateway: '
hostname: '
ip_address: '
mac_address: '
subnet: '
virt_bridge: '
intf1:
dhcp_tag: '
gateway: '
hostname: host143.intern
ip_address: '
mac_address: '00:50:56:87:1E:F4'
subnet: '
virt_bridge: '
kernel_options:
ksdevice: eth1
kickstart: <<inherit>>
ks_meta:
ksgw: '192.168.83.129'
kshostname: host143.intern
ksip: '192.168.83.143'
ksmaxslash: '5000'
ksmaxswap: '1100'
ksmaxvarlog: '2048'
ksmaxvarspool: '2048'
ksmetadev: eth0
ksnetmask: '255.255.255.128'
ksns: '192.168.83.140'
name: host143
netboot_enabled: True
parent: '
profile: RHEL5.1-i386-mailserver
server: <<inherit>>
virt_path: <<inherit>>
virt_type: <<inherit>>


I assume I don't have to assign a fixed IP to every host on the PXE-
network via dhcpd.conf?



cheers,
Rainer
--
Rainer Duffner
CISSP, LPI, MCSE
rainer@ultra-secure.de


_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools
 
Old 12-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Michael DeHaan
 
Default Question about cobbler - variable substitution

Rainer Duffner wrote:

Take a look in /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/ and see if you can find the
"encoded" file that matches the MAC address you entered. It should be
there. This is
the file that the PXE boot process will request and use for system
configuration. Next, compare that with what you see in the system BIOS
to ensure that it actually matches up.

It sounds like it's not matching up to me.
I assume I don't have to assign a fixed IP to every host on the
PXE-network via dhcpd.conf?


The TFTP/PXE stage that identifies your system by MAC address does not
rely on having a static MAC set.
The order is encoded MAC, then encoded IP, then default. Except if you
are using IA64 arches (elilo), when you must have the IP -- it doesn't
do boot-by-MAC.
You can add a -vv in your /etc/xinetd.d/tftp file to see a bit more from
TFTP in syslog.


Hopefully that helps. It really sounds like the MAC addresses aren't
right to me, maybe a typo somewhere?







cheers,
Rainer


_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools
 
Old 12-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Rainer Duffner
 
Default Question about cobbler - variable substitution

Am 04.12.2007 um 22:25 schrieb Michael DeHaan:


Rainer Duffner wrote:

Take a look in /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/ and see if you can find the
"encoded" file that matches the MAC address you entered. It should
be there. This is
the file that the PXE boot process will request and use for system
configuration. Next, compare that with what you see in the system
BIOS to ensure that it actually matches up.

It sounds like it's not matching up to me.
I assume I don't have to assign a fixed IP to every host on the
PXE-network via dhcpd.conf?


The TFTP/PXE stage that identifies your system by MAC address does
not rely on having a static MAC set.
The order is encoded MAC, then encoded IP, then default. Except if
you are using IA64 arches (elilo), when you must have the IP -- it
doesn't do boot-by-MAC.
You can add a -vv in your /etc/xinetd.d/tftp file to see a bit more
from TFTP in syslog.


Hopefully that helps. It really sounds like the MAC addresses
aren't right to me, maybe a typo somewhere?





In the above /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg directory, there's only one file
- "default", which produces said menu.


Is there anything else that has to be run in addition to "cobbler sync"?

I'm feeling I'm missing something, but I don't know what.

Thanks for your help so far.


cheers,
Rainer
--
Rainer Duffner
CISSP, LPI, MCSE
rainer@ultra-secure.de


_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools
 
Old 12-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Michael DeHaan
 
Default Question about cobbler - variable substitution

Rainer Duffner wrote:


Am 04.12.2007 um 22:25 schrieb Michael DeHaan:


Rainer Duffner wrote:

Take a look in /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/ and see if you can find the
"encoded" file that matches the MAC address you entered. It should be
there. This is
the file that the PXE boot process will request and use for system
configuration. Next, compare that with what you see in the system
BIOS to ensure that it actually matches up.

It sounds like it's not matching up to me.
I assume I don't have to assign a fixed IP to every host on the
PXE-network via dhcpd.conf?


The TFTP/PXE stage that identifies your system by MAC address does
not rely on having a static MAC set.
The order is encoded MAC, then encoded IP, then default. Except if
you are using IA64 arches (elilo), when you must have the IP -- it
doesn't do boot-by-MAC.
You can add a -vv in your /etc/xinetd.d/tftp file to see a bit more
from TFTP in syslog.


Hopefully that helps. It really sounds like the MAC addresses aren't
right to me, maybe a typo somewhere?





In the above /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg directory, there's only one file -
"default", which produces said menu.


Is there anything else that has to be run in addition to "cobbler sync"?

I'm feeling I'm missing something, but I don't know what.

Thanks for your help so far.


cheers,
Rainer


In your systems file, I do not see a MAC set for the first interface,
just the second.


Any chance it was created with --mac1=value versus --mac=value?

I can duplicate your problem with the first interface remains empty.
This is most definitely

a bug, though probably one that few people would encounter.

I'll put in a fix. In the meantime, you can edit that file to add the
interface to the 'intf0' part
and delete the entirity of 'intf1' part, and it will work fine. If you'd
rather not worry about

tweaking the config files, the Web UI can also do this.

Hope that helps... I'll file a defect on this on the Trac page.

--Michael



_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools
 
Old 12-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Rainer Duffner
 
Default Question about cobbler - variable substitution

Am 04.12.2007 um 22:50 schrieb Michael DeHaan:




In your systems file, I do not see a MAC set for the first
interface, just the second.



Well, I can put in a MAC - but I thought it was not relevant, because
I do PXE-boot on eth1 (the "backend interface").

I didn't know it would generate a pxelinux.cfg file out of that MAC...




Any chance it was created with --mac1=value versus --mac=value?




It was created via the web-interface.
Does the web-interface log the XMLRPC-commands somewhere?


I can duplicate your problem with the first interface remains
empty. This is most definitely

a bug, though probably one that few people would encounter.

I'll put in a fix. In the meantime, you can edit that file to add
the interface to the 'intf0' part
and delete the entirity of 'intf1' part, and it will work fine. If
you'd rather not worry about

tweaking the config files, the Web UI can also do this.

Hope that helps... I'll file a defect on this on the Trac page.





So, you mean I could make all the settings that I currently have on
eth1 also on eth0 and omit eth1?

And ksdevice: eth1 will do the trick?

...tries it....

Ha, now I have another file in that directory.

I cannot go further, because the hardware is actually an ESX-guest,
and the VI-client only runs on Windoze (which I don't have).


I'll work on this tomorrow (GMT+1).

Again: thanks a lot for your efforts.


cheers,
Rainer
--
Rainer Duffner
CISSP, LPI, MCSE
rainer@ultra-secure.de


_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools
 
Old 12-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Michael DeHaan
 
Default Question about cobbler - variable substitution

Rainer Duffner wrote:


Am 04.12.2007 um 22:50 schrieb Michael DeHaan:




In your systems file, I do not see a MAC set for the first interface,
just the second.



Well, I can put in a MAC - but I thought it was not relevant, because
I do PXE-boot on eth1 (the "backend interface").

I didn't know it would generate a pxelinux.cfg file out of that MAC...


The first interface in cobbler's config is not neccessarily 'eth1'. It's
just "the first interface in cobbler".





Any chance it was created with --mac1=value versus --mac=value?




It was created via the web-interface.
Does the web-interface log the XMLRPC-commands somewhere?


Not in audit log levels of detail ... yet ... though the command you
issued was actually valid.


The problem seems to lie in the sync behavior for not generating the
second file.



I can duplicate your problem with the first interface remains empty.
This is most definitely

a bug, though probably one that few people would encounter.

I'll put in a fix. In the meantime, you can edit that file to add the
interface to the 'intf0' part
and delete the entirity of 'intf1' part, and it will work fine. If
you'd rather not worry about

tweaking the config files, the Web UI can also do this.

Hope that helps... I'll file a defect on this on the Trac page.





So, you mean I could make all the settings that I currently have on
eth1 also on eth0 and omit eth1?

And ksdevice: eth1 will do the trick?


Yes.




...tries it....

Ha, now I have another file in that directory.


Good deal!

_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:32 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org