Old 06-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Ole Ersoy

Default File not generated?

Hi,

After cobbler pxe installing Fedora 9, I noticed that there was no:
/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0

File generated.

In my kickstart file I had the following line:
network --device eth0
--bootproto static
--ip $ip_address -
--netmask 255.255.255.0
--gateway 192.168.1.1
--nameserver 192.168.1.1
--hostname $hostname

So I assumed that that would get translated into a configuration file on the newly installed system.

I also tried creating one manually, and did did:
ifdown eth0
ifup /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0

But the settings are ignored. Instead the router provides an IP address at from the very beginning of it's address pool, which is 192.168.1.100 (And the static configured IP is 192.168.1.2).

So it seems like the host has been configured to always obtain a DHCP lease. Ideally the ifcfg-eth0 file would be generated and be used after the first reboot...any ideas on how to make this happen?

Thanks,
- Ole

Old 06-30-2008, 12:21 AM
Michael DeHaan

Ole Ersoy wrote:

Hi,

After cobbler pxe installing Fedora 9, I noticed that there was no:
/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0

File generated.

In my kickstart file I had the following line:
network --device eth0 --bootproto static --ip $ip_address -
--netmask 255.255.255.0 --gateway 192.168.1.1
--nameserver 192.168.1.1 --hostname $hostname

So I assumed that that would get translated into a configuration file
on the newly installed system.

This is probably best asked at kickstart-list@redhat.com. There is
also a corresponding (but less active) channel #kickstart on freenode.

You probably want to read: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart

FWIW, I thought the user editable configs are in "scripts" not "devices".

--Michael

Old 06-30-2008, 02:05 AM
Ole Ersoy

This is probably best asked at kickstart-list@redhat.com. There is
also a corresponding (but less active) channel #kickstart on freenode.

You probably want to read:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart

FWIW, I thought the user editable configs are in "scripts" not "devices".

Hmmm - Now that you mentioned it, (and I took a peak) there's stuff in there :-). It even has onboot set to yes. The ifcfg-eth0 is in devices on my workstation, so I just assumed that was were it was supposed to end up. I'll play a little more. Thanks for the follow up avenues!

Ole