Old 06-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Michael DeHaan

Default Is Update this Easy

Mackell, Thomas O wrote:

This is kind of a stupid question, however I figured I better ask
before I do something dumb...

Since I installed my current system using clobber, now I want to upgrade
it.
Currently running Fedora 8, and now I just imported the distribution on
my cobbler server.

So I think I need to make a new kickstart with just a few lines in it,
like update instead of install, no package selection, or disk setup.
Just a basic one like this:
###########
# Kickstart to update server

update
lang en_US.UTF-8
keyboard us
timezone --utc America/New_York
lang en
########
Then I define the server in cobbler and point to the distribution in
there.
Make a new iso using the buildiso routine.

Pretty much that's how it works.

You'll want to make sure your upgrade kickstart is correct for all the
options you want, which may mean going through the update process on a
similar system and copying what gets installed in /root/anaconda.ks (the
results of all the questions you answer are saved for future
kickstarting), tweak it if needed, and use that for subsequent systems
to get it fully automated.

You should be able to cobbler import F9 and just assign your systems to
a F9 based update profile if you wanted to do that via netbooting as well.

Generally I don't do a lot of upgrade kickstarts (in fact, F9 on my own
laptop seemed much happier doing a clean install), so YMMV.

--Michael

Is this going to be as simple as I think ?

Thank You,
Thomas Mackell