Old 06-25-2008, 04:05 AM

Default Endless "following symlink"

Hi,

I have recently installed cobbler from
rpm on a new Fedora 9 system. I have attempted to do an rsync import from
an older Fedora Core 5 box with a view to making a virtualised copy of
the machine. I used the following import command:

cobbler import --mirror=rsync://root@192.168.1.17/server
--arch=i386 --name=Mac --rsync-flags="--exclude=/proc --exclude=/sys
--exclude=/tmp/*"

where the rsync "server" module's
path simply points to '/'

The cobbler check command reports a
clean configuration

The cobbler setting are defaults with
server, next_server and some 'virt' parameters changed.

The rsync copy appeared to go ok but
following the copy an enless stream of "following symlink" messages
are displayd on the console (and gradually getting longer in length). The
machine was left overnight but the messages were still scrolling away in
the morning.

I noticed Drew Einhorn mentioned something
similar in a post on April 10 2008 but I believe this was put down to a
non-redhat based distro. This is not the case here.

Has anyone else seen this behavior or
have any idea what might cause it?

thanks,

Darren

Advitech Pty
Limited
ABN
29 003 433 458
1 Elizabeth Street, Tighes Hill NSW, Newcastle,
Australia
PO Box 207, Mayfield 2304 NSW, Australia
Phone +61 2 49616544
Fax +61 2 49693530
http://www.advitech.com.au

NOTICE - This
message contains information intended only for the use of the addressee named
above.* It may also be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that you must not
disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received
this message in error please notify Advitech Pty Limited immediately via
mail@advitech.com.au.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Scott Henson

Old 06-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Michael DeHaan

Old 06-25-2008, 11:23 PM

Thanks Scott and Michael,

I was unclear as to whether it was possible.
I did not read any doco that explicitly said import could not be used for
that purpose.

Thats ok though, there is always more
than one way to get the job done.

Thanks for the prompt reply,

Darren

Michael DeHaan <mdehaan@redhat.com>

Sent by: et-mgmt-tools-bounces@redhat.com

26/06/2008 01:42 AM

Please respond to

Fedora/Linux Management Tools <et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com>

Fedora/Linux Management Tools
<et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com>

cc

Subject
Re: [et-mgmt-tools] Endless
"following symlink"

Scott Henson wrote:

> darren.hennessy@advitech.com.au wrote:

> | Hi,

> | I have recently installed cobbler from rpm on a new Fedora 9 system.

> | have attempted to do an rsync import from an older Fedora Core 5
box

> with

> | a view to making a virtualised copy of the machine. I used the

> following

> | import command:

> | cobbler import --mirror=rsync://root@192.168.1.17/server --arch=i386

> | --name=Mac --rsync-flags="--exclude=/proc --exclude=/sys

> --exclude=/tmp/*"

> I think you may be using cobbler wrong. *Import is used to import

> distributions into cobbler not systems. *For instance, you can
import

> Fedora 8 but not a machine installed with Fedora 8.

Indeed. * Import operates on DVD ISO's or rsync mirrors of

distributions, such as the kind you typically find on kernel.org. *
Read

the manpage and the Wiki for more documentation and examples of what

this is intended to do.

Additionally, it only supports RHEL, CentOS, and Fedora imports. *
*For

other Linux support, use "cobbler distro add", not import, patches
*are

always welcome to add import for other distros.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Michael DeHaan

darren.hennessy@advitech.com.au wrote:

Thanks Scott and Michael,
I was unclear as to whether it was possible. I did not read any doco
that explicitly said import could not be used for that purpose.

Thats ok though, there is always more than one way to get the job done.

It did explicitly say what it could be used for, however

"Cobbler import will not make you breakfast"

*-----------------------------------------
mail@advitech.com.au <mailto:mail@advitech.com.au>.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:58 PM
David Lutterkort

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 14:05 +1000, darren.hennessy@advitech.com.au
wrote:
> I have recently installed cobbler from rpm on a new Fedora 9 system. I
> have attempted to do an rsync import from an older Fedora Core 5 box
> with a view to making a virtualised copy of the machine.

This is not the tool you are looking for. You actually want
virt-p2v[1]

David

[1] http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v/