-   -   Cobbler BIND DNS management confusion (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-linux-management-tools/109877-cobbler-bind-dns-management-confusion.html)

Dustin Black 06-19-2008 07:17 PM

Cobbler BIND DNS management confusion

I could use some help understanding Cobbler's management of BIND.

If I make any changes to the /etc/cobbler/named.template file and run
'cobbler sync', I can clearly see that the changes that I make are
implemented in the /etc/named.conf file.

Now I've been attempting to create a zone template under a directory
created ´╗┐per the wiki ManageDns documentation
-- /etc/cobbler/zone_templates. I want to create a zone with static A,
MX, and CNAME entries that are outside the scope of Cobbler's management
for that zone. If I create the zone template and run 'cobbler sync',
should I then expect Cobbler to add the zone information to the
named.conf file, as well as use the template to create an appropriate
zone file under /var/named? This doesn't seem to happen.

If I try to add the zone information explicitly to
the /etc/cobbler/named.template file, named gives an error when
restarting that the /var/named/... zone file doesn't exist.

I then thought that maybe Cobbler wouldn't create the named.conf zone
entry or the zone file until a Cobbler system entry existed for a host
in the domain. I created a dummy system with a hostname in the domain
in question and ran 'cobbler sync', but still no dice -- no zone entry
and no zone file.

What more do I need to understand about how this BIND management works?
At what point or under what circumstances is the zone information
generated?

Thanks in advance!