Old 06-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Michael DeHaan

Default Teaching cobbler about images & power

These are two things I want to look at doing soon.

(A)

The image use case:

We're already using Cobbler to help manage DHCP, DNS, PXE trees, and
abstract out all of the glue that holds the OS's together. One thing
that it doesn't do though, is have a good way to deploy images to
physical machines (cloning). Kickstart is pretty flexible, I like it
better, but I know that doesn't solve all the problems of deploying
"that other OS" and so forth. Images are also important for the
appliance space, and we'll also be able to eventually use the same kind
of image database for virt images depending on how we play our cards.

So, since things like udpcast allow network deployment of the "target"
boot image, this seems like it would be easy to do something like.

cobbler system add --name=foo --clone=this-image-target # syntax
completely made up at this point

And have that system then netboot the "reciever" image. (This seems
to indicate you can't clone two different images at the same time, but
maybe the reciever has options for that? Hmmm... that would be nice).

Cobbler could manage the TFTP tree for something like updcast pretty
easily as well as kicking off the right sender commands and organizing
the images.

We could also do things like "cobbler image add" to maintain the list of
images and have them easily assignable/browseable in the Web app.

(B)

Power management.

Do something with FreeIPMI / OpenIPMI (I haven't investigated either of
these in depth yet -- there may be alternatives), so that when assigning
a new profile to a system record it is then trivial to also power cycle
that system. This would make PXE reinstallations easier (especially
where you can't SSH in to restart them) and also would help cobbler
become more of a tool for managing the low level system bits.

Does anyone care to share any of their favorite open source tools,
scripts, and ideas for dealing with either of the above? It would be
nice to have some things that were similar to what folks were already
using, and that also means more help in testing and that we're doing the
right thing.

--Michael

Old 06-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Chris MacLeod

Old 06-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Pablo Iranzo Gómez

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008, Michael DeHaan wrote:

> These are two things I want to look at doing soon.
>
> (A)
>
> The image use case:
>
> We're already using Cobbler to help manage DHCP, DNS, PXE trees, and
> abstract out all of the glue that holds the OS's together. One thing
> that it doesn't do though, is have a good way to deploy images to
> physical machines (cloning). Kickstart is pretty flexible, I like it
> better, but I know that doesn't solve all the problems of deploying
> "that other OS" and so forth. Images are also important for the
> appliance space, and we'll also be able to eventually use the same kind
> of image database for virt images depending on how we play our cards.
>
> So, since things like udpcast allow network deployment of the "target"
> boot image, this seems like it would be easy to do something like.
>
> cobbler system add --name=foo --clone=this-image-target # syntax
> completely made up at this point

This could be done in a Unattended-like setup. As explained on
wiki, Unattended is a set of Kernel, Initrd and Perl scripts that setups a
dosemu to install Hasecorp's Hasefroch system. For deploying images, that
kind of setup with a "kernel" and "initrd" with an embedded "partimage"
could help connect to a server with cobbler and use a parameter passed on
kernel command line to determine image to clone on local disk.

> Do something with FreeIPMI / OpenIPMI (I haven't investigated either of
> these in depth yet -- there may be alternatives), so that when assigning
> a new profile to a system record it is then trivial to also power cycle
> that system. This would make PXE reinstallations easier (especially
> where you can't SSH in to restart them) and also would help cobbler
> become more of a tool for managing the low level system bits.

Then here could fit another proposal: Remote management cards, for
example interaction with iLO interfaces or Remote View Service Boards
among others, in the same way as "fence" does for GFS.

Regards
Pablo

Old 06-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Michael DeHaan

Pablo Iranzo Gómez wrote:

[...]

Clonezilla is apparently udpcast + partimage

I'm probably not going to be doing anything with unattended specifically
as we don't want to do something Windows
specific when some people still have reasons for deploying other
operating systems.

Do something with FreeIPMI / OpenIPMI (I haven't investigated either of
these in depth yet -- there may be alternatives), so that when assigning
a new profile to a system record it is then trivial to also power cycle
that system. This would make PXE reinstallations easier (especially
where you can't SSH in to restart them) and also would help cobbler
become more of a tool for managing the low level system bits.

Then here could fit another proposal: Remote management cards, for
example interaction with iLO interfaces or Remote View Service Boards
among others, in the same way as "fence" does for GFS.

That too...

Regards
Pablo

Old 06-14-2008, 08:04 PM
"Al Tobey"

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 7:35 AM, Michael DeHaan <mdehaan@redhat.com> wrote:
> These are two things I want to look at doing soon.
>
> (A)
> The image use case:
>
> We're already using Cobbler to help manage DHCP, DNS, PXE trees, and
> abstract out all of the glue that holds the OS's together. One thing that
> it doesn't do though, is have a good way to deploy images to physical
> machines (cloning). Kickstart is pretty flexible, I like it better, but I
> know that doesn't solve all the problems of deploying "that other OS" and so
> forth. Images are also important for the appliance space, and we'll also be
> able to eventually use the same kind of image database for virt images
> depending on how we play our cards.
>
> So, since things like udpcast allow network deployment of the "target" boot
> image, this seems like it would be easy to do something like.
>
> cobbler system add --name=foo --clone=this-image-target # syntax
> completely made up at this point

A "nice to have" for this would be that it be modular enough that the
clone functionality could be customized to do NetApp snap clones, LVM
snapshots, and similar. Obviously, Cobbler won't be able to support
every device and vendor, but I'm sure with the capability there, it'll
get used. I'd say LVM snapshots would be a good place to start, then
qemu qcow2 (not supported by Xen, but is by KVM/Qemu). Once there's
more than one module, it should be simple enough to add NetApp/HP
EVA/EqualLogic/EMC CX/etc..

-Al

Old 06-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Lars Wilke

Hi,

* Michael DeHaan wrote:
> The image use case:

For imaging system imager is quite good.
www.systemimager.org

cheers

--lars