-   -   ANNOUNCE: virt-mem: tools for monitoring virtual machines (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-linux-management-tools/102021-announce-virt-mem-tools-monitoring-virtual-machines.html)

"Richard W.M. Jones" 06-06-2008 05:44 PM

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 11:24:12AM -0400, Gastón Keller wrote:
> Hello, Richard. Good news that you are working on a tool to monitor
> memory usage of the guests. May I ask to which extent Xen provides
> tools for the same purpose? Or maybe they are pretty limited...

The free Xen tools only show you the total memory being used by the
guest -- equivalent to the amount of RAM installed in the (virtual)
machine. They don't tell you how much memory is being used by
processes, in swap or in disk buffers. That is my eventual aim with
virt-free (part of the virt-mem toolset).

I have no idea about XenSource's commercial tools.

VMWare offer something similar but you have to install an agent inside
the guest.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top