Old 06-05-2008, 09:27 AM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

Default Question about the reason of disabling create remote guest.

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 05:18:06PM +0900, Atsushi SAKAI wrote:
> I have a question about remote guest creation on virt-manager.
>
> Is there any reason of disabling functionality?
> http://hg.et.redhat.com/virt/applications/virt-manager--devel?cs=686a43c1c0e7
> I am looking around the ML archive but I cannot found the reason.

It's just because that bit hasn't been written yet. However all the
infrastructure is now in place (capabilities, remote, storage API) so
it will work. I think Cole was working on it.

Rich.

Read my OCaml programming blog: http://camltastic.blogspot.com/
Fedora now supports 59 OCaml packages (the OPEN alternative to F#)

Old 06-05-2008, 10:19 AM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 05:18:06PM +0900, Atsushi SAKAI wrote:
> Hi, Dan
>
> I have a question about remote guest creation on virt-manager.
>
> Is there any reason of disabling functionality?
> http://hg.et.redhat.com/virt/applications/virt-manager--devel?cs=686a43c1c0e7
> I am looking around the ML archive but I cannot found the reason.

Historically there wer several problems

- It poked in /proc to determine what HV / guests were supported.
THis is now fixed since we use the capabilities APIs
- It accesses local filesystem to create disk images. This can be
fixed by swithcing to use the storage APIs, which I believe Cole
has been looking at
- It downloads kernel/initrd images to local files. This can be fixed
by only allowing PXE for remote hosts, or using storage APIs to find
CD ISO images remotely.

There's probably a few other loose ends to tidy up, but we're pretty close
to being able to suport remote guest creation once the storage APIs are
used by virt-manager

Regards,
Daniel.