Old 06-02-2008, 09:05 AM
"D. H. Holsboer"

Default backup and synchronization program?

Hi,
I am looking for a program that can backup and/or synchronize data on my
laptop (FC 8), on another FC 8 and on a WIN XP on my LAN. I have for WIN
- WIN synchronization and/or backup the program SyncBack, but don want
to have to switch to Win XP all the time I want to make a backup or
synchronize the systems.
Does anybody know which Linux program performs these actions by simply
copying files from one system to the system on which they are not
present and overwriting old files with the newer versions? This is the
way I use to my satisfaction the program SyncBack.exe. Of course, the
Win XP machine is accessible via smb.
Later this month I plan to change to FC 9, hoping that most difficulties
with the new version (no new version without itś own set of
difficulties...) will be solved.

Daniel

Old 06-25-2008, 09:37 PM
Andrew Farris

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 12:05 PM, D. H. Holsboer <dh holsboer xs4all nl> wrote:
> I am looking for a program that can backup and/or synchronize data on my
> laptop (FC 8), on another FC 8 and on a WIN XP on my LAN. I have for WIN - WIN
> synchronization and/or backup the program SyncBack, but don want to have to
> switch to Win XP all the time I want to make a backup or synchronize the
> systems.
> Does anybody know which Linux program performs these actions by simply
> copying files from one system to the system on which they are not present and
> overwriting old files with the newer versions? This is the way I use to my
> satisfaction the program SyncBack.exe. Of course, the Win XP machine is
> accessible via smb.

You might want to look at either BackupPC or Unison. Unison is basically a
two-way rsync that you run when you choose (or script via cron), so it can keep
the newest file whether you change it on the PC or portable; normally with rsync
you cannot do that. I've never used BackupPC but it is supposed to be a
full-blown backup solution.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@gmail.com> www.lordmorgul.net
gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB 5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29