Old 05-30-2008, 10:52 PM
"Joe Desbonnet"

Default Fedora Queries for Laptop

The only areas where I tend to have problems with Fedora (and other
Linux distros) is:

1. ACPI related issues (sleeping -- or waking up after a sleep to be
more accurate)
2. Audio *in* -- audio out always works, but getting the mic to work
for skype etc is very, very, very, very hard. For me anyway.

Re playing video etc -- the secret is to install the right software.
Redhat have a very strict open source / no patent policy, so a fresh
Fedora install would seem useless when it comes to playing the most
popular formats out there (MPEG despite being an "open" standard is
riddled with patent issues).

Go to http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/
and install software such as mplayer and you then have capabilities
that would far exceed what comes bundled with Windows and Mac.

The only other problem I've encountered is playing (deliberately)
broken DVDs: there are a few free Windows players which work with
Wine (Windows emulator). Takes a bit of work to get them working, but
googling around you'll find many tutorials on this.

Finally: remember that with modern hardware you can run virtual
machines with almost no performance penalty. So the few bits of
Windows software that you really need to run and that won't work with
Wine -- just create a Windows VM and run them in a window (you'll
need an Windows install CD/DVD and a licence key to get started) The
only thing I havn't yet achieved is to run a virtual Mac :-( That
would be nice.

J.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:57 PM
gene

Don't get an Epson scanner.. I used to have a perfection 1650 and it worked
great with Linux, but I had to replace it and my V200 photo hardly works.
I installed the proper driver but it will only scan in two resolutions.
300dpi is one of them which is fine but I also need 600dpi and the driver
won't do it. I had to install a Windows VM who's sole purpose in life is
to scan.

I also have a USB drive which gives me no problems.

On Fri, 30 May 2008 23:52:01 +0100, Joe Desbonnet <joe@galway.net> wrote:
> The only areas where I tend to have problems with Fedora (and other
> Linux distros) is:
>
> 1. ACPI related issues (sleeping -- or waking up after a sleep to be
> more accurate)
> 2. Audio *in* -- audio out always works, but getting the mic to work
> for skype etc is very, very, very, very hard. For me anyway.
>
> Re playing video etc -- the secret is to install the right software.
> Redhat have a very strict open source / no patent policy, so a fresh
> Fedora install would seem useless when it comes to playing the most
> popular formats out there (MPEG despite being an "open" standard is
> riddled with patent issues).
>
> Go to http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/
> and install software such as mplayer and you then have capabilities
> that would far exceed what comes bundled with Windows and Mac.
>
> The only other problem I've encountered is playing (deliberately)
> broken DVDs: there are a few free Windows players which work with
> Wine (Windows emulator). Takes a bit of work to get them working, but
> googling around you'll find many tutorials on this.
>
> Finally: remember that with modern hardware you can run virtual
> machines with almost no performance penalty. So the few bits of
> Windows software that you really need to run and that won't work with
> Wine -- just create a Windows VM and run them in a window (you'll
> need an Windows install CD/DVD and a licence key to get started) The
> only thing I havn't yet achieved is to run a virtual Mac :-( That
> would be nice.
>
> J.
>

> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 11:25 PM, Kevin J. Cummings
> <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
>> Jigar Sutaria wrote:
>>>
>>> I have Dell Inspiron with all latest configuration. I want to know
>>
>> In the Linux world, the phrase "all latest configuration" is a
> meaningless
>> one. See below.
>>
>>> following work with Fedora or not
>>> If they are working any configuration required or not (Any document
>>> reference that can help me knowing this)
>>> 1. Bluetooth data/voice
>>> 2. USB Flash Drive
>>> 3. USB Hard Drive
>>> 4. Playing Movies VCD/DVD
>>> 5. Playing Music
>>> 6. Telephony Tools
>>> 7. Microphone
>>> 8. Webcam

Old 07-30-2008, 08:30 PM
John Graham

Hello .

**** have been using ferdoa 9 for some time now with my ACER travelMate c310 and have little or no problems .. other than bluetooth .. but that is not why this message. We have now left nextel and moved to verizon and have a new modem for my Acer and i can't get it working .. i had no problem with the nextel modem but the Verizon ( PC5750VW )* when i plug in the modem nothing happens .. For some time i have a program running at the top bar that would let me switch to my nextel card or wfi but i dont see it so i am stuck .. anyone had any luck with this modem ?