Old 05-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Marcello Fanti

Default TravelMate 5720G and video card driver

Dear list members,

I recently bought an ACER TravelMate 5720G, on which I installed Fedora 8.

The laptop has a 1280x800 display resolution and an ATI Mobility Radeon
X2600 video card (according to ACER web site --- but probably it is the
same as ATI HD 2600 if I well understood)

Fedora 8 does not have a specific driver for such video card, therefore it
proposes a generic vesa driver, which does not handle 1280x800 resolution.
Therefore I downloaded and installed the ATI driver for HD 2600, from ATI
web site. Now the resolution is set correctly, but as a drawback the
motion of objects (like windows) on desktop is very slow and jumpy ---
awful effect, really!!

Did anybody experience similar problems? Does anybody has a solution to
suggest?

Many thanks to you all!

Cheers
Marcello