-   -   Fedora 9 - KDE 4 (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-laptop/87895-fedora-9-kde-4-a.html)

"Lasith Sameera" 05-14-2008 04:10 PM

Fedora 9 - KDE 4

After waiting for long time today i have install fedora 9. But i was unsatisfied with the features it provides. It has nice LOOK * FEEL, but it's functionality is very wee. Any body knows how to over come this issue. Some times i feel fedora 8 better when compare with UI.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Lasith Sameera

Rex Dieter 05-14-2008 04:48 PM

Fedora 9 - KDE 4

Lasith Sameera wrote:

> After waiting for long time today i have install *fedora 9*. But i was
> unsatisfied with the features it provides. It has nice LOOK * FEEL, but
> it's functionality is very wee. Any body knows how to over come this
> issue. Some times i feel fedora 8 better when compare with UI.

KDE 4.0 is certainly a major change, which does lack a lot of the polish and
niceties that KDE-3.5.x provided. If you're not comfortable with it,
Fedora 8 and KDE-3.5.x is still a viable option.

I'm curious still, by "functionality is very weak", can you provide some
details?

-- Rex

Chris Snook 05-15-2008 12:13 AM

Fedora 9 - KDE 4

Rex Dieter wrote:

Lasith Sameera wrote:

After waiting for long time today i have install *fedora 9*. But i was
unsatisfied with the features it provides. It has nice LOOK * FEEL, but
it's functionality is very wee. Any body knows how to over come this
issue. Some times i feel fedora 8 better when compare with UI.

KDE 4.0 is certainly a major change, which does lack a lot of the polish and
niceties that KDE-3.5.x provided. If you're not comfortable with it,
Fedora 8 and KDE-3.5.x is still a viable option.

I'm curious still, by "functionality is very weak", can you provide some
details?

There's just a lot of stuff missing. Some of it is missing on purpose,
replaced with something more elegant, but most of it simply hasn't been
converted to work with KDE 4 yet. The KDE developers realized that they
had reached the point where the only way to get people off their asses
and convert their apps was to release KDE 4 and deprecate KDE 3. By
adopting KDE 4 as soon as feasible after its release, we're exposing
ourselves to some growing pains, but the payoff is that the transition
will be quick and focused, rather than languishing for years.

When I first saw KDE 4, I was a bit miffed at how much was missing, but
it's come a very long way in just a few months. Peering under the hood
a bit, I'm convinced of the KDE developers' claim that the overhaul to
the codebase will make it easier to maintain and extend in the future.

Given the rate of development, it's quite easy for minor features to be
overlooked, so if something's missing or broken, please file a bug.

-- Chris