Old 05-14-2008, 03:35 AM
gene

Default F9: still problem with dual head T42

Could anyone help me out? I waited 18 days for F9 to be released but it
does not appear to have fixed many problems with dual heading a T42 with
Radeon Mobility.

I go to 'screen resolution' and unselect 'mirror'. It detects my monitor
fine but does not display seperate views when I apply. When I go to the
video settings and select 'dual head' I cannot press OK and it does not
detect a 'second video card' even though my Radeon 7500 technically has two
ports.. LCD screen and VGA out.

Please if anyone can help. For my development machine I require three
things to be productive; 1) USB mouse, 2) full-size keyboard, 3) dual head.
I don't believe this is too much to ask of an OS.

I don't want to be stuck with Windows XP and cygwin and I like using Linux,
but I must have dual head. Thanks!

Old 05-14-2008, 03:45 AM
Sean Madden

If you run 'xrandr', does it show that the VGA Monitor is connected?

If so, try 'xrandr --output VGA --auto' for a mirror or 'xrandr --output
VGA --left-of LVDS' for a dual-screen. Substitute '--right-of' to move
the monitor to the other side.

I have a Lenovo 3000 y410 using the Intel drivers, but the commands work
the same, and currently have a dual-screen setup using this method.

-Sean

Old 05-14-2008, 12:38 PM
gene

Yes, xrandr appears to see my monitor. I get something like:

VGA-0 connected 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
340mm x 250mm
1920x1200 60.0
1920x1080 59.9
1600x1200 70.0 65.0 60.0
LVDS connected....

The monitor appears mirrored after reboot. However, when I enter the
'xrandr -right-of' my gnome session hangs completely. The mouse still
moves but none of the windows or controls respond.

I'm using the standard drivers here. Perhaps I need different drivers?