-   -   f9 on the Asus EEE PC (resume and additional keys) (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-laptop/72777-f9-asus-eee-pc-resume-additional-keys.html)

Sven Lankes 04-19-2008 09:44 PM

f9 on the Asus EEE PC (resume and additional keys)

Hi,

I have installed Fedora 9 rc on an Asus EEE 701. This has been quite
successful. A lot of things work out of the box or with minimal
tweaking.

There are two things that don't work for me and where I am out of
knowledge and/or google juice to fix them. Maybe someone has an idea or
a pointer for me there.

The first issue I have is the resume:

The machine suspends fine but doesn't resume successfully. The screen
stays black on resume. It seems that it is still doing something as
pushing the power button after a failed resume suspends the machine
again (suspends as in the power led starts blinking again).

There is an entry in the fdi suspend-quirks database for the 701 which
activates the quirks for s3_bios and dpms_on and the eee seems to
suspend fine for others running other distributions or even f8
(eeedora). I have tried some other quirks and also pm-suspend without
any quirks but the result is always the same.

The second issue is how to map some of the additional keys to do
anything useful. The asus patch for the eee is included in the fedora
kernel rpm so there seems to be no need for a patched acpi_asus.ko.
Screen-brightness control works (fn + f3/f4) and suspend (fn + f1) work
and according to the wiki page at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EeePc
the others should do at least something too (no idea what 'needs gconf
tweaks' refers to).

Pushing e.g. the mute-button does not generate any dmesg output and
nothing in xev either.

Any hints are appreciated.

--
sven === jabber/xmpp: sven@lankes.net

Sven Lankes 04-21-2008 10:19 AM

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:20:34PM +0200, Fabrice Bellet wrote:

>> The machine suspends fine but doesn't resume successfully. The screen
>> stays black on resume. It seems that it is still doing something as
>> pushing the power button after a failed resume suspends the machine
>> again (suspends as in the power led starts blinking again).

> You should try to rewrite a value in /proc/acpi/asus/brn _after_
> wakeup. That should reset LCD brightness to a sane value. The part of
> my acpi script (based on eeedora), that works for me with "lid" events
> looks like that :

Thanks for the pointer. That was it.

I have solved it by adding an

echo 3 > /proc/acpi/asus/brn

to /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video

I'll try to update the wiki with my findings later today. After
compiling the eeepc-acpi module taken from the debian package my acpi
events now work too.

--
sven === jabber/xmpp: sven@lankes.net

Fabrice Bellet 04-21-2008 10:20 AM

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 11:44:40PM +0200, Sven Lankes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed Fedora 9 rc on an Asus EEE 701. This has been quite
> successful. A lot of things work out of the box or with minimal
> tweaking.
>
> There are two things that don't work for me and where I am out of
> knowledge and/or google juice to fix them. Maybe someone has an idea or
> a pointer for me there.
>
> The first issue I have is the resume:
>
> The machine suspends fine but doesn't resume successfully. The screen
> stays black on resume. It seems that it is still doing something as
> pushing the power button after a failed resume suspends the machine
> again (suspends as in the power led starts blinking again).

You should try to rewrite a value in /proc/acpi/asus/brn _after_ wakeup. That
should reset LCD brightness to a sane value. The part of my acpi script (based
on eeedora), that works for me with "lid" events looks like that :

if [ "${acpi}" == "lid" ]; then
wifi_off
su username -c "DISPLAY=:0 gnome-screensaver-command --lock"
pm-suspend --quirk-dpms-on --quirk-s3-bios
sleep 10
su username -c "DISPLAY=:0 gnome-screensaver-command --poke"
wifi_on
brn=`</proc/acpi/asus/brn`
echo $brn > /proc/acpi/asus/brn
note='resume'
fi

--
fabrice

"Jon Nettleton" 04-21-2008 12:30 PM

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Sven Lankes <sl@killefiz.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:20:34PM +0200, Fabrice Bellet wrote:
>
> >> The machine suspends fine but doesn't resume successfully. The screen
> >> stays black on resume. It seems that it is still doing something as
> >> pushing the power button after a failed resume suspends the machine
> >> again (suspends as in the power led starts blinking again).
>
> > You should try to rewrite a value in /proc/acpi/asus/brn _after_
> > wakeup. That should reset LCD brightness to a sane value. The part of
> > my acpi script (based on eeedora), that works for me with "lid" events
> > looks like that :
>
> Thanks for the pointer. That was it.
>
> I have solved it by adding an
>
> echo 3 > /proc/acpi/asus/brn
>
> to /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video
>
> I'll try to update the wiki with my findings later today. After
> compiling the eeepc-acpi module taken from the debian package my acpi
> events now work too.

Hey all,

I am sorry I have been such a slacker the last month or so. I still
need to finish and post my eeepc-acpi module that generates key-events
for HAL. I also have the necessary fdi files so things like rfkill,
and volume just work with gnome. I will update the wiki page when I
have them posted somewhere.

Jon

Sven Lankes 04-22-2008 10:36 AM

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:19:24PM +0200, Sven Lankes wrote:

> Thanks for the pointer. That was it.
> I have solved it by adding an
> echo 3 > /proc/acpi/asus/brn
> to /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video

Replying to myself.

I'm slowly starting to understand how acpi under linux actually works
especially with the eee-pc.

The F9-Kernel contains a module called eeepc which - when loaded -
generates acpi-events for the Fn + Fx-keys. While those events work fine
the stock module doesn't contain the rest of the asus-laptop module
functionality - most important it doesn't offer /proc/acpi/asus so it's
not possible to automagically reset the backlight on resume.

Just loading the f9 asus-laptop module fails (No such device).

Writing directly to /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness doesn't seem to
be supported either on eee (writing to it fails with "Invalid argument"
and reading yields "not supported").

So currently using the stock f9 modules is not sufficient to use all
possible functionality (unless someone else has an idea on how to set
the backlight level). I'm back to using the eeepc-acpi module taken from
debian which gives me acpi events for keypresses and /proc/acpi/asus
support.

--
sven === jabber/xmpp: sven@lankes.net