Old 02-18-2013, 07:57 PM
Тузлуков

Default Fedora on ASUS Zenbook

Hello,
does anybody know if Fedora 17 works on ASUS Zenbook family?

I think about buying Zenbook Prime UX31A and installing F17 on it. So is it possible to install, and will it works well? (decreased time of work from battery doesnt matter for me)

Any own experience stories, links, mans, etc are great deal

Thanks
--
Best regards
Sergey Tuzlukov

Old 03-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Тузлуков С.А.

Solved by testing on real hardware.
Fedora 17 (RFRemix-17.1-x86_64, kernel 3.6.8, gnome-3.4, and later versions) works on Zenbook Prime UX31A well, all hardware is visible out-of-box.
However, there are some bugs with Fn-keys and lights, e.g. screen brightness and keyboard lights turns back to the maximum after reboot; light-sensor (for auto-set screen brightness) doesn't work; Fn+F2 shortcut (for switch on/off WiFi and Bluetooth) doesn't work too. And if I set GNOME option "Decrease brightness to safe power" it decreases brightness when no activity, but doesn't increase it back when I go back working so some time after beginning work brightness goes down to minimum and switches off the screen.
In other aspects, no other problems or big troubles were discovered after 3 weeks using. Just small bugs.
Sound volume stays on same level after reboot. Battery works about 5:30-6hrs. So it's okay for me, I think question may be closed.
Thanks to all!

PS on installation you can use both UEFI and legacy BIOS way to install, but Secure boot option should be switched off (when install, and also after install to boot OS from disk).