Old 06-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Brian Morrison

Default USB Portable Wifi setup

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 17:05:19 +0100
Brian Morrison <bdm@fenrir.org.uk> wrote:

> The device you have uses the RTL8187 chipset, it should not be a
> problem to get it working under Fedora 17 with the 3.x kernel series,
> but you do need to have the correct driver packages installed so that
> udev recognises the hardware and loads the necessary modules when you
> insert the device.

You will also need to have the linux-firmware package installed, but I
would expect that to be installed without needing manual intervention.

Look in

/usr/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rtl818x/rtl8187/

and in

/lib/firmware/rtlwifi

and see what .ko and .bin files are there, these should be loaded
automatically on insertion of the USB WiFi dongle.

--

Brian Morrison

Old 06-28-2012, 06:09 PM
"Chris Capesius"