-   -   USB Portable Wifi setup (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-laptop/678153-usb-portable-wifi-setup.html)

"Chris Capesius" 06-28-2012 03:30 PM

USB Portable Wifi setup

Hello…I am a newbie to Linux.* I recently bought a portable USB Wifi device.* I verified it works on my Windows computer.* I also verified my key/password works too; as I was able to connect to The Internet wirelessly via Windows with this device.** How do I get my USB Wifi to work via my Fedora 17 laptop?* In the top corner I see my wifi connection name, however my password/ key does not work when I try to connect in Fedora?** When I got it to work via Windows it was plug/play, however the driver disk also came with an .exe file too if needed.* The disk, with drivers, also has a Linux driver folder, however I'm guessing I can’t connect, because I didn’t install any of these Linux drivers.* How do I install the Linux drivers, because I don’t know how to do it without an .exe file?* I have included what the zip file looks like that was on the driver disk.* Please help.* The simpler the instructions the better (I’m a newbie) if you think my problem is missing drivers??…Thanks!..Chris
*

Brian Morrison 06-28-2012 04:05 PM

USB Portable Wifi setup

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 08:30:34 -0700
"Chris Capesius" <capesius@cox.net> wrote:

> Hello.I am a newbie to Linux. I recently bought a portable USB Wifi
> device. I verified it works on my Windows computer. I also verified
> my key/password works too; as I was able to connect to The Internet
> wirelessly via Windows with this device. How do I get my USB Wifi
> to work via my Fedora 17 laptop? In the top corner I see my wifi
> connection name, however my password/ key does not work when I try to
> connect in Fedora? When I got it to work via Windows it was
> plug/play, however the driver disk also came with an .exe file too if
> needed. The disk, with drivers, also has a Linux driver folder,
> however I'm guessing I can't connect, because I didn't install any of
> these Linux drivers. How do I install the Linux drivers, because I
> don't know how to do it without an .exe file? I have included what
> the zip file looks like that was on the driver disk. Please help.
> The simpler the instructions the better (I'm a newbie) if you think
> my problem is missing drivers??.Thanks!..Chris

Did you manage to get your Intel built-in wireless hardware working
Chris? You were asking about that a couple of weeks ago and then it all
went quiet.

The device you have uses the RTL8187 chipset, it should not be a
problem to get it working under Fedora 17 with the 3.x kernel series,
but you do need to have the correct driver packages installed so that
udev recognises the hardware and loads the necessary modules when you
insert the device.

--

Brian Morrison