Old 03-31-2008, 09:22 AM
rimzy

Default installing fedora 8 in compaq presario v3425au

Hi

I have a laptop (compaq Presario v3425au),vista preloaded , with the following configurations.

Processor- AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TK-53 (1.7 GHz, 512KB L2 Cache)

Chipset NVIDIA® C51M and MCP51

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150

Display 14.1-inch WXGA High-Definition** BrightView Widescreen Display

Standard Memory Two user-accessible SODIMM Slots, up to 4GB DDR2 max system memory (Dual Channel Memory Support***)

Hard Drive With hard drive up to 160GB

Optical Drive 24X DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive, LightScribe SuperMulti 8X
DVD±RW with Double Layer Support and SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double
Layer Support

Networking/Wireless High speed 56K modem, Integrated 10/100 LAN, broadcom WLAN with Bluetooth option

External Card Expansion ExpressCard slot/54 slot (supports both 34 and 54 form factors)

Media Card Integrated 5-in-1 digital memory reader slot (xD, SD, MMC, Memory Stick and Memory Stick PRO)

Optional Accessory HP xb3000 notebook expansion base, HP Notebook QuickDock, HP 12-cell and 6-cell battery

I/O Ports VGA, USB 2.0 (3), IEEE 1394, Consumer IR, RJ-11, RJ-45, headphone, microphone jack, Omni-directional microphones (2).

and the drivers installed in vista are:-

Conexant HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP Driver

Conexant High-Definition Audio Driver

NVIDIA nForce Chipset Driver

NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 Graphics Driver

HP Quick Launch Buttons

Synaptics Touchpad

Software Support for HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth Wireless Technology (Microsoft Windows Vista)

Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver for Microsoft Windows Vista

Support Software for HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth Wireless Technology (Microsoft Windows Vista)

Ricoh 5-in-1 Card Reader Host Controller and Driver

WinFlash for HP Notebook System BIOS (for Notebooks with AMD Processors) - Microsoft Windows/Vista-Based

HP Quick Launch Buttons Critical Security Update

Please help me out in installing fedora 8.

Will fedora 8 install all the drivers for all the devices in my laptop
? if not please tell me what all drivers / plugins should i download
extra ?

I am asking you in advance so that i want to make sure that i can install fedora without any problem

thanks & regards

Rimzy

Old 03-31-2008, 09:51 AM
"Miguel Ángel Pérez"

Hi rimzy,

Usually people first installs and then worries about what doesn't works out of the box , because this way you can execute some tests or find required information to configure things.

A linux distro is not like windows, the kernel is built with a lot of driver modules so hopefully you will get support for every piece of hardware compatible with some driver module.

After installing you should add a third party repository like livna to get packages with nvidia drivers for your card, mp3, and that sort of not open things. The wireless and ethernet devices will be automatically detected and supported (hopefully), but i should not make any guess about the softmodem as they can be very troublesome.

Good luck and regards.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:16 PM
Chris Bredesen

You could also burn a Live CD/DVD and run from that. It'll give you a
good idea of what works out of the box.

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

-Chris

<http://fedoraforum.org/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=988294>

Old 03-31-2008, 07:00 PM
milto

Did you searched here:
(http://tuxmobil.org/)?

Old 03-31-2008, 09:15 PM
Adalbert Prokop

rimzy schrieb am Montag, 31. Mrz 2008:

Hello rimzy!

> Will fedora 8 install all the drivers for all the devices in my laptop
> ? if not please tell me what all drivers / plugins should i download
> extra ? I am asking you in advance so that i want to make sure that i
> can install fedora without any problem

That's difficult to say. If you insist on "without *any* problem" then for
sure no. If you can accept some problems you probably be happy with
Fedora.

I don't know if you alredy have experience with Linux. If not - do
yourself a favour and read what Linux really is. I found a nice page here
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm .

There are drivers for many different hardware pieces for Linux. But not
for all of them. Hardware manufacturers usually do not expressly support
Linux - it's a matter of money and time, because developing drivers costs
time and therefore money. Most people run Windows, not Linux, and they
are the primary customers. Besides, there is no place for closed source
drivers in the Linux kernel and almost all hardware makers do not like
the idea of publishing their drivers' source code.

That's the theory of Linux drivers. So the difference for you would be

Windows: you visit your hardware maker's homepage, download the driver and
install it.

Linux: drivers are part of the kernel. Either within the kernel or a
loadable module. Some can be installed from third party packages (e.g.
Livna). If a driver you need is not part of the kernel or provided as a
package you simply won't be able to use this particular hardware.

This is of course an oversimplification. Some drivers are available as
source code and must be compiled first. But that's a non-trivial business
and nothing for the unexperienced beginner.

> Graphics NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150

There are NVIDIA packages in rpm.livna.org or freshrpms.net. I've seen
them working on a GeForce Go 7600.

> Networking/Wireless High speed 56K modem, Integrated 10/100 LAN,
> broadcom WLAN with Bluetooth option

LAN most probably will work, there are good chances WLAN will also do
(with 3rd party packages, which Broadcom chipset is it exactly?), modem
most probably won't work (see http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/).

> Media Card Integrated 5-in-1 digital memory reader slot (xD, SD, MMC,
> Memory Stick and Memory Stick PRO)

Depends on the chipset. I've installed F8 on a HP Pavilion DV9000 where
it "just worked" and on a Acer TM 8000 where a the card reader failed.

--
bye,
Adalbert

QOTD: "What do you mean, you had the dog fixed? Just what made you think
he was broken!"