-   -   HP G62 using Fedora 15 network connections problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-laptop/587976-hp-g62-using-fedora-15-network-connections-problem.html)

Herakletos Helanicos 10-15-2011 03:28 PM

HP G62 using Fedora 15 network connections problem

I am new user of Fedora 15 and I use it on notebook HP G62 a50sm in
dual boot with Windows 7.

My problem is that I can't access to any network - wired or wireless.
I've read a large number of 'tutorials' and 'how to manuals' on the
web, but none of them resolved my problem. Base of the problem is that
I can't install anything because I don't have any access to the
Internet on my notebook when Fedora 15 is active. Is there any way you
can help me?

Very grateful

Steve

Ron Leach 10-15-2011 03:57 PM

On 15/10/2011 16:28, Herakletos Helanicos wrote:

> My problem is that I can't access to any network - wired or wireless.
> I've read a large number of 'tutorials' and 'how to manuals' on the
> web, but none of them resolved my problem. Base of the problem is that
> I can't install anything because I don't have any access to the
> Internet on my notebook when Fedora 15 is active. Is there any way you
> can help me?

Sure. Assuming this is just a regular notebook, Just say how far you get:

Plug in wired cable; does a light come on on the socket?

Do you have a network manager (NM) icon on the desktop or panel,
somewhere?

Click the NM icon, what does it show?

Select 'edit connections', and create a 'wired' connection with your
network details.

Post back here if you get this far and don't know what to set up in
the edit connections dialog. When you post back, say what network
addressing arrangement you are using - fixed IP (and gateway, and
DNS), or DHCP?

regards,

Ron

Ron Leach 10-15-2011 11:35 PM

On 15/10/2011 18:58, Herakletos Helanicos wrote:
> All of that stuff is done, I have already set connection before, with
> Automatic DHCP and tried also with manual setting (IP, Address,
> Netmask, Gateway and DNS server) but noting was successful.
>
> I have Fedora 15 (32bit) with GNOME, and I can't see Network Manager,
> only network settings (in the right top corner of the screen) and
> Network Connections in the applications tab in Activities menu.

Hmmm... (did a light come on when you inset a cable?)

I'm not a systems expert, merely a user. (So, I cannot suggest what
to look for in the system logs - perhaps another poster can do that.)
But, I happily use a laptop with Fedora; I would ask that you
describe what happens when you do this:

a. Disable wifi.

b. Start the laptop without a network cable

c. Make sure your settings are for auto - DHCP (for everything)

d. Find, and watch, the network settings 'icon'

e. Insert the cable.

f. Watch to see whether the icon changes - to a revolving symbol -
suggesting that a network address is being sought. Tell us what happens.

g. When it finishes revolving (or whatever), do these two things:

(i) load the 'terminal', execute this command:

ping 8.8.8.8

(this is asking for a connection to Google's DNS server, and this
command checks whether there is an out going network signal from your
machine and through your gateway (whatever that is)). Post back with
what it says. If this works, there is network connectivity, but
(perhaps) some problems with DNS resolution which are very easy to
fix. Also do the next task: ....

(ii) check the network connections icon, right-click, and read what is
says for 'network connection' and post back here.

regards, Ron