Old 02-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Brandon Thomas

Default Fedora 8 installing onto Dell Latitude 610

Vince,

What sound card does your laptop have?

BT

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 17:36 +0000, Vince O'Neill wrote:

I am a compete novice on linux, but want to check this as a viable alternative, as I work in a school, and we pay thousands to Microsoft!

*

I have used a live CD to check Fedora out on a laptop, but cannot get sound to work.

*

Can someone point me in the right direction to correct this?

*

Vince con O'Neill

7 Frobisher, Bracknell, Berks. RG12 7WQ

Tel: 01344 445064

Fax: 01344 445664

Mob: 07958 010443

*

This message has been scanned by AVG Professional Virus scanner, but the recipient should take steps to enusre the message is virus free using their own systems.

*

Old 02-13-2008, 05:20 PM
"Brian A. Seklecki"

I am a compete novice on linux, but want to check this as a viable
alternative, as I work in a school, and we pay thousands to Microsoft!

Send us your "lscpi -v" and "dmesg" output.

~BAS

I have used a live CD to check Fedora out on a laptop, but cannot get sound
to work.

Can someone point me in the right direction to correct this?

Vince con O'Neill

7 Frobisher, Bracknell, Berks. RG12 7WQ

Tel: 01344 445064

Fax: 01344 445664

Mob: 07958 010443

This message has been scanned by AVG Professional Virus scanner, but the
recipient should take steps to enusre the message is virus free using their
own systems.

l8*
-lava (Brian A. Seklecki - Pittsburgh, PA, USA)
http://www.spiritual-machines.org/

"Guilty? Yeah. But he knows it. I mean, you're guilty.
You just don't know it. So who's really in jail?"
~Maynard James Keenan

Old 02-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Brian Morrison

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:36:34 -0000
"Vince O'Neill" <vince.oneil@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I have used a live CD to check Fedora out on a laptop, but cannot get sound
> to work.

You have run the soundcard detection under the
System->Administration->Soundcard detection menu?

--

Brian Morrison

"Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud;
after a while you realize you are muddy and the pig is enjoying it."

Old 02-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Dave Russell

Vince O'Neill wrote:
I am a compete novice on linux, but want to check this as a viable
alternative, as I work in a school, and we pay thousands to Microsoft!

I have used a live CD to check Fedora out on a laptop, but cannot get
sound to work.

Can someone point me in the right direction to correct this?

While I haven't tried the F8 live CD, this message is coming to you from
a Dell D610 that regularly runs F7, F8 and more recently F9-Alpha with
no problems at all.

The sound should work for you out of the box, I'd try the soundcard
detection as someone else has mentioned, or possibly check to ensure
that the sound output isn't somehow muted by default.

--

Cheers,
Dave Russell

Mobile: +44 (0) 7725 433024
GPG: 488B 78CD 7E33 12BA D7FC 4B60 322B 449F 475D 6BB1

Old 02-13-2008, 11:08 PM
Jon Nettleton

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 23:56 +0000, Dave Russell wrote:
> Vince O'Neill wrote:
> > I am a compete novice on linux, but want to check this as a viable
> > alternative, as I work in a school, and we pay thousands to Microsoft!
> >
> > I have used a live CD to check Fedora out on a laptop, but cannot get
> > sound to work.
> >
> > Can someone point me in the right direction to correct this?
>
> While I haven't tried the F8 live CD, this message is coming to you from
> a Dell D610 that regularly runs F7, F8 and more recently F9-Alpha with
> no problems at all.
>
> The sound should work for you out of the box, I'd try the soundcard
> detection as someone else has mentioned, or possibly check to ensure
> that the sound output isn't somehow muted by default.

Also make sure you are booted without any external usb sounds cards
connected, including webcams with usb mics integrated.