Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora Laptop (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-laptop/)
-   -   extremely slow copy speed (50k/s) (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-laptop/491120-extremely-slow-copy-speed-50k-s.html)

Ron Leach 02-18-2011 02:17 PM

extremely slow copy speed (50k/s)
 
vinÝcius mota wrote:
>
> Briefly, the problem is that the copy speed between the partition in
> which I am running my Fedora and another partition where I store backup
> data is now 50K/s, which is extremely slow by any standart (it has been
> usually around 10M/s, almost 200 times faster).

Wow, that's slow between partitions.


> One of the disks is partitioned between two operational
> systems, Fedora 14 64 and Windows 7 64, and the other disk contains the
> above referred partition where I store my backups (I call it backup
> disk).
> I login into the windows and
> made a copy of some AVI files (3G approx) to the backup disk, which went
> normally

So hardware is ok and, also, Windows' disk handlers are probably ok.

> I move data within the backup iself disk using windows also without any
> problem.

I don't think this would move the files, would it? Wouldn't the
directory entries, only, change? Could you try a 'copy' within the
backup (under windows), just to be sure. Preferably something quite
large.

> I try therefore to make the inverse process, a copy from the
> backup disk into my home folder in Fedora. It went normally, copying 4 G
> also within few seconds, actually with an excellent speed of 50M/s.
>

Good

> [Google might show] one cause could be that the source file system (in my
> case the Fedora home folder) would be near its full capacity.

I wouldn't have thought so; to me it looks much more like a data
problem on the destination, or a problem in the F14 disk handlers (but
would have been quite widely reported, by now?).

It is clear that you have been using Fedora for some time so I expect
you have already done what I will ask, but you did not say. My first
thought on reading the symptoms was that, possibly, the backup
partition is getting full with 'wastebasket/recyclebin' files, which
have to be 'deleted for real' before the 'new files' that you are
copying can be copied. And, maybe, Windows is a little bit faster at
that than F14 NTFS handlers (maybe). Maybe F14 is 'deleting for real'
at a single sector at a time, or something?

I wonder, also, if the number of IO reads and writes on the backup
disk could be measured and reported; that might provide a clue as to
whether there is excessive processing, or whether there is otherwise
some software delay. But I do not know how to measure IO transactions.

>
> He is the line of my /etc/fstab file which defines my backup disk, with
> the label common
>
> LABEL=common /home/vinicius/Desktop/common ntfs
> auto,user,sync 0 0
>

Am I correct in thinking that 'sync' disables write-caching? It might
be interesting to change that, and see if performance is still just as
bad.

Best of luck, Ron
_______________________________________________
laptop mailing list
laptop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/laptop

Jon Nettleton 02-18-2011 02:29 PM

extremely slow copy speed (50k/s)
 
>>
>> He is the line of my /etc/fstab file which defines my backup disk, with
>> the label common
>>
>> LABEL=common * * * * * */home/vinicius/Desktop/common *ntfs
>> auto,user,sync *0 0
>>

Part of your performance problem is definitely mounting with the
'sync' command. This option basically removes any write caching that
is done by the kernel and forces lots of extra "writes" to the disk.

you should also run `iostat 5 10` while doing the copy this will give
you a snapshot of the number and size of the reads and writes down to
the IO subsystem.

Also, how are your disks connected, PATA, SATA, ESATA, USB 1.1/2.0?
All this could give different reasons why you are seeing problems.

That should get you started.

Jon
_______________________________________________
laptop mailing list
laptop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/laptop

Tony Molloy 02-18-2011 02:31 PM

extremely slow copy speed (50k/s)
 
On Friday 18 February 2011 15:17:27 Ron Leach wrote:





> > It seems therefore to be a problem in the software, caused by the updates,

> > since until 10 days ago it was everything ok. However, I usually make the

> > updates whenever they appear but make my backups much less frequently.

> > Therefore I don't know for sure what has changed in Fedora through the

> > updates since the last backup I made, when everything was working fine.



> > Here is the line of my /etc/fstab file which defines my backup disk, with > > the label common

>

> > LABEL=common /home/vinicius/Desktop/common ntfs

> > auto,user,sync 0 0

>

> Am I correct in thinking that 'sync' disables write-caching? It might

> be interesting to change that, and see if performance is still just as

> bad.

>

> Best of luck, Ron

> _______________________________________________

> laptop mailing list

> laptop@lists.fedoraproject.org

> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/laptop



Can't help with your problem but on Fedora 14



ntfs-3g-2011.1.15-1.fc14 Fri 04 Feb 2011 06:47:18 GMT



So the ntfs drivers were updated in early february about when you say the problem started.



You could try and downgrade the drivers and see if that sorts out your problem



Tony
_______________________________________________
laptop mailing list
laptop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/laptop

Ron Leach 02-18-2011 03:07 PM

extremely slow copy speed (50k/s)
 
Tony Molloy wrote:
> Can't help with your problem but on Fedora 14
>
> ntfs-3g-2011.1.15-1.fc14 Fri 04 Feb 2011 06:47:18 GMT
>
> So the ntfs drivers were updated in early february about when
> the problem started.
>

Oh, well spotted.

Many (most?) laptop users of F14 will be dual-booting and a lot of
those users will want to exchange files between the two environments.
If the problem has been caused by the recent release then a lot
of folk could have problems. It would be very useful to find out what
'is' causing this problem and whether it 'is' introduced with the
updated drivers. (So that then we can raise a bug report and get it
fixed.)

> You could try and downgrade the drivers and see if that sorts out your
> problem
>

This might be necessary as a short-term work-around.

If the OP 'did' have time or the opportunity to run the checks that
Jon suggested, maybe posting some results here (both for copying 'to'
the backup, and copying 'from' the backup back to 'home'), I think
that would help us get a firmer resolution, but that's asking a lot if
this is an easy 'fix' for him/her.

Ron
_______________________________________________
laptop mailing list
laptop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/laptop

vinÝcius mota 02-18-2011 04:17 PM

extremely slow copy speed (50k/s)
 
Hi guys, Tony's suggestion has solved the problem. I downgrade via yum, restarted the computer and its all ok. In fact, I believe it is much better than before the problem. I am pretty sure that before the problem I was making copies into my backup disk at a speed around 10M/s. Right now I am making a backup of the folder containing my work, with 21G, and it is happening at a speed of 33M/s. The fact that it is now much better than before I can't understand (I imagine that the downgrade has installed the version I had before february 4, and it should therefore be working as before), but that is another problem.


Thank you all very much! I am posting either the link of this discussion (I don't know if it is possible) or the solution for the problem in fedora.forum, since I imagine other people will start to experience it too. Thank you again!


On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Tony Molloy <tony.molloy@ul.ie> wrote:



On Friday 18 February 2011 15:17:27 Ron Leach wrote:





> > It seems therefore to be a problem in the software, caused by the updates,

> > since until 10 days ago it was everything ok. However, I usually make the

> > updates whenever they appear but make my backups much less frequently.

> > Therefore I don't know for sure what has changed in Fedora through the

> > updates since the last backup I made, when everything was working fine.



> > Here is the line of my /etc/fstab file which defines my backup disk, with > > the label common

>

> > LABEL=common /home/vinicius/Desktop/common ntfs

> > auto,user,sync 0 0

>

> Am I correct in thinking that 'sync' disables write-caching? It might

> be interesting to change that, and see if performance is still just as

> bad.

>

> Best of luck, Ron

> _______________________________________________

> laptop mailing list

> laptop@lists.fedoraproject.org

> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/laptop



Can't help with your problem but on Fedora 14



ntfs-3g-2011.1.15-1.fc14 Fri 04 Feb 2011 06:47:18 GMT



So the ntfs drivers were updated in early february about when you say the problem started.



You could try and downgrade the drivers and see if that sorts out your problem



Tony

_______________________________________________

laptop mailing list

laptop@lists.fedoraproject.org

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/laptop


_______________________________________________
laptop mailing list
laptop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/laptop

Ron Leach 02-18-2011 04:30 PM

extremely slow copy speed (50k/s)
 
vinÝcius mota wrote:
> Hi guys, Tony's suggestion has solved the problem.
> I am posting either the link of this discussion
> (I don't know if it is possible) or the solution for the problem in
> fedora.forum, since I imagine other people will start to experience it
> too.

Good idea. Here's the link to the discussion

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/laptop/2011-February/001000.html

(By the way, you can find the list archive page here:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/laptop/

which is reachable from the link at the bottom of the list messages:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/laptop)

Good to hear you're up and running, again

Ron

_______________________________________________
laptop mailing list
laptop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/laptop

Al Thompson 02-18-2011 08:44 PM

extremely slow copy speed (50k/s)
 
vinÝcius mota wrote:
>
> He is the line of my /etc/fstab file which defines my backup disk,
> with the label common
>
>
> LABEL=common /home/vinicius/Desktop/common ntfs
> auto,user,sync 0 0

I would suspect that it is more directly related to the fact that you
are writing to an ntfs partition. You can read from it at normal speed,
and Windows can read and write to it at full speed. This should
indicate that the BIOS, controller, and disk are fine.

I also have one ntfs partition on a SATA drive one of my systems, and it
has caused some problems. If I could find a reliable way to convert it
to ext3 without loosing data, I'd do it in a second!


--


Check out the website I've been cobbling together. It will never be done, but it's a start:
http://lateralforce.no-ip.org


My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio, mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
http://audioandmore.wordpress.com


Staat hei▀t das kńlteste aller kalten Ungeheuer. Kalt lŘgt es auch;
und diese LŘge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
- [Friedrich Nietzsche]

_______________________________________________
laptop mailing list
laptop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/laptop

vinÝcius mota 02-18-2011 08:48 PM

extremely slow copy speed (50k/s)
 
Hi guys. After posting the solution in fedora.forum I have received a new comment, by Jean Pierre, as you can see here

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1445059&posted=1#post1445059


It is in the same line as in the reply by Jon Nettleton, about sync. The latest version of ntfs-3g works fine after I removed sync from the fstab when defining the partition for my backup disk.



On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Ron Leach <ronleach@tesco.net> wrote:

vinÝcius mota wrote:

> Hi guys, Tony's suggestion has solved the problem.

> I am posting either the link of this discussion

> (I don't know if it is possible) or the solution for the problem in

> fedora.forum, since I imagine other people will start to experience it

> too.



Good idea. *Here's the link to the discussion



http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/laptop/2011-February/001000.html



(By the way, you can find the list archive page here:



http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/laptop/



which is reachable from the link at the bottom of the list messages:



https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/laptop)



Good to hear you're up and running, again



Ron



_______________________________________________

laptop mailing list

laptop@lists.fedoraproject.org

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/laptop



_______________________________________________
laptop mailing list
laptop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/laptop


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:10 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.