Old 11-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Mark juszczec

Default FC14 Toshiba Satellite P205D

I've got FC14 (stock kernel from the FC14 Live CD kernel version
2.6.35.6-45.fc14.i686) installed on a Toshiba Satellite laptop.

I upgraded from FC8 last week. Performance with FC8 was fantastic, but it was time to upgrade

FC14 performance hasn't been as good as with FC8 and I'm wondering if
there's something I need to do to optimize FC14 with this laptop.

The "recurring" problem - twice when the system has been very very busy
(first time trying to start a game in gxmame and the 2nd trying to
compile mame) - the system temp has gone up (expected) and the wireless
has turned off (unexpected)

The wireless wouldn't come back until after one or 2 reboots.

Windows starts just fine. The system diagnostics in Windows report no errors.

Yesterday, I disabled all kinds of unneeded services and startup program.

Can anyone share any specific tweaks, optimizations or whatever they did to make FC14 run on a laptop?

*

Old 11-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Ankur Sinha

On Mon, 2010-11-29 at 10:01 -0500, Mark juszczec wrote:

> I've got FC14 (stock kernel from the FC14 Live CD kernel version
> 2.6.35.6-45.fc14.i686) installed on a Toshiba Satellite laptop.
>
> I upgraded from FC8 last week. Performance with FC8 was fantastic, but
> it was time to upgrade
>
> FC14 performance hasn't been as good as with FC8 and I'm wondering if
> there's something I need to do to optimize FC14 with this laptop.
>
> The "recurring" problem - twice when the system has been very very
> busy (first time trying to start a game in gxmame and the 2nd trying
> to compile mame) - the system temp has gone up (expected) and the
> wireless has turned off (unexpected)
>
> The wireless wouldn't come back until after one or 2 reboots.
>
> Windows starts just fine. The system diagnostics in Windows report no
> errors.
>
> Yesterday, I disabled all kinds of unneeded services and startup
> program.
>
> Can anyone share any specific tweaks, optimizations or whatever they
> did to make FC14 run on a laptop?

Hello,

Have you looked at
http://fedorasolved.org/Members/fenris02/post_upgrade_cleanup

after upgrading?

regards,
Ankur

Old 11-29-2010, 02:29 PM
John Knight

That's a great guide Ankur, i found it after upgrading to f14 from f9
and it helped me fix a lot.

-John