Old 09-26-2010, 02:28 PM
David Pastula

Default Acer Aspire One AO751h Video Help:INTEL GMA500

Recently put Fedora on my netbook, but having difficult time getting a decent video driver loaded.. only generic now.* Does anyone have simple directions to get a good driver loaded?* Its been a while since I was on unix, so needs to be fairly detailed in step...

Thanks!
Dave

Old 09-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Ron Leach

David Pastula wrote:
> Recently put Fedora on my netbook, but having difficult time getting a
> decent video driver loaded.. only generic now. Does anyone have simple
> directions to get a good driver loaded?

Sorry I cannot give you the precise guidance you need, but I thought
I'd just say that Fedora 13 is running pretty well on my Acer Aspire
One AOA150, with 1024 x 600 screen. Not tried anything fancy but
judging by the dynamic screen savers it looks fine. Not sure what
chipset this model uses, I'll try and check and post back if it isn't
a GMA500.

Which Fedora release are you trying?

What video features are you finding don't work well? I was wondering
if I could check them on my AA1, and if they work I could perhaps say
what drivers this is using.

regards, Ron

Old 09-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Ron Leach

David Pastula wrote:
> Ron,
>
> Im running Fedora 13... and its the video driver for the Intel GMA 500
> integrated chip... right now im using the generic video driver that is
> included with Fedora 13, one resolution and slow. I'm struggling to
> understand how to build and install a driver that you can get online. I
> would be very happy if i can get a better resolution and jus a little
> more speed.

David, I'll have a closer look at my own machine's set up to see if
there are any hints I can add.

In the meantime, did you know about this user site for most things AA1?

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/

In the past, when I first tried the AA1 with Linux (FC8 / Linpus), I
found it invaluable. The reason I mention it is that you're probably
not the first to have encountered a problem, and maybe someone else
with your machine has already got a work-around.

For my machine, I also found this next site helpful.

http://jorge.fbarr.net/2010/06/09/fedora-13-on-the-acer-aspire-one/

Jorge has also added more info since that posting.

In the meantime, I'll look closer at my machine.

regards, Ron

Old 09-26-2010, 09:52 PM
Ron Leach

David Pastula wrote:
> Ron,
>
> Im running Fedora 13... and its the video driver for the Intel GMA 500
> integrated chip... right now im using the generic video driver that is
> included with Fedora 13, one resolution and slow.

David, sorry, not sent to list, here text:

My machine is a lower spec than yours, from Xorg.0.log, it uses:

PCI:*(0:0:2:0) 8086:27ae:1025:015b Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME
Express Integrated Graphics Controller rev 3,

PCI: (0:0:2:1) 8086:27a6:1025:015b Intel Corporation Mobile
945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller rev 3,

The log goes on to say it is using X.org's drivers
'intel',
'vesa'. and
'fbdev'.

Its intel driver is described in the log as supporting:

(II) intel: Driver for Intel Integrated Graphics Chipsets: i810,
i810-dc100, i810e, i815, i830M, 845G, 852GM/855GM, 865G, 915G,
E7221 (i915), 915GM, 945G, 945GM, 945GME, Pineview GM, Pineview G,
965G, G35, 965Q, 946GZ, 965GM, 965GME/GLE, G33, Q35, Q33, GM45,
4 Series, G45/G43, Q45/Q43, G41, B43, Clarkdale, Arrandale

I'm not familiar with Intel hardware, so I'm not sure if any of those
are GMA500.

Presumably your system is using the standard X.org 'intel', 'vesa',
and 'fbdev' drivers? Actually, I think you can alter the config to
tell it what to use (I may be mistaken). Perhaps your system is
'standardising' on a low performance driver when one of the other
in-built drivers would work better?

David, I should say that my help is likely to be limited to doing
comparisons for you - I don't have the skills to compile a driver. I
felt I could offer my experience with the AA1 - but it seems to be a
different chipset version, anyway, so I'm not sure my contribution
will be much more help to you. I am sorry about that.

regards, Ron

Old 09-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Ron Leach

David Pastula wrote:
> Recently put Fedora on my netbook, but having difficult time getting a
> decent video driver loaded.. only generic now. Does anyone have simple
> directions to get a good driver loaded? Its been a while since I was on
> unix, so needs to be fairly detailed in step...

David, another user is reporting F13 running fine (though problems
with F14 beta) on a GMA500 machine:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/xfce/2010-September/000201.html

Perhaps you could ask the user which drivers etc are working on that
machine?

regards, Ron

Old 09-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Ron Leach

Ron Leach wrote:
> David Pastula wrote:
>> Recently put Fedora on my netbook, but having difficult time getting a
>> decent video driver loaded.. only generic now. Does anyone have
>> simple directions to get a good driver loaded?
>
> Sorry I cannot give you the precise guidance you need, but I thought I'd
> just say that Fedora 13 is running pretty well on my Acer Aspire One
> AOA150, with 1024 x 600 screen. Not tried anything fancy but judging by
> the dynamic screen savers it looks fine. Not sure what chipset this
> model uses, I'll try and check and post back if it isn't a GMA500.
>
> Which Fedora release are you trying?
>
> What video features are you finding don't work well? I was wondering if
> I could check them on my AA1, and if they work I could perhaps say what
> drivers this is using.
>
> regards, Ron

David, these links seem to suggest there is an issue with the GMA500
chipset.

http://old.nabble.com/debian-squeeze-on-acer-aspire-one-751h-td25151053.html

http://www.happyassassin.net/2009/08/10/intel-gma500-poulsbo-on-fedora-11-repository-with-working-3d-compiz-support/

http://www.happyassassin.net/2009/01/30/intel-gma-500-poulsbo-graphics-on-linux-a-precise-and-comprehensive-summary-as-to-why-youre-screwed/

http://www.happyassassin.net/2009/05/13/native-poulsbo-gma-500-graphics-driver-for-fedora-10/

http://touchstudio.wordpress.com/2009/05/31/acer-aspire-one-1366x768-graphics-driver-needed/

Better news is that one of the people reading the Fedora list is Adam
Williamson. I think that's the same Adam as has the 'happy assassin'
site I just linked to; it seems from these links that he has been
trying to solve this problem in F10, F11, and F12. He may know what
the situation is for F13 (and F14).

regards, Ron

Old 09-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Jon Nettleton

> Better news is that one of the people reading the Fedora list is Adam
> Williamson. *I think that's the same Adam as has the 'happy assassin'
> site I just linked to; it seems from these links that he has been
> trying to solve this problem in F10, F11, and F12. *He may know what
> the situation is for F13 (and F14).

You can get Adam's drivers for Poulsbo here
http://adamwill.fedorapeople.org/poulsbo/13/ . I have no idea what
the current state is for them. RPMFusion also packages the poulsbo
firmware and drm drivers, again I don't have the hardware so don't
know their current state.

Jon

Old 09-27-2010, 05:03 PM
David Pastula

Thanks Jon,

He has an rpm file there for FC13.. I'll try it tonight and keep my fingers crossed!

Regards,
Dave

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Jon Nettleton <jon.nettleton@gmail.com> wrote:

> Better news is that one of the people reading the Fedora list is Adam

> Williamson. *I think that's the same Adam as has the 'happy assassin'

> site I just linked to; it seems from these links that he has been

> trying to solve this problem in F10, F11, and F12. *He may know what

> the situation is for F13 (and F14).

You can get Adam's drivers for Poulsbo here

http://adamwill.fedorapeople.org/poulsbo/13/ . *I have no idea what

the current state is for them. *RPMFusion also packages the poulsbo

firmware and drm drivers, again I don't have the hardware so don't

know their current state.

Jon

Dave "SPAZ" Pastula

Captain, United States Navy
COMSEVENTHFLT Det 111
NASJRB Fort Worth, Texas

Old 09-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Ron Leach

David Pastula wrote:
> Thanks Jon,
>
> He has an rpm file there for FC13.. I'll try it tonight and keep my
> fingers crossed!
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Jon Nettleton <jon.nettleton@gmail.com
> <mailto:jon.nettleton@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> You can get Adam's drivers for Poulsbo here
> http://adamwill.fedorapeople.org/poulsbo/13/ . I have no idea what
> the current state is for them. RPMFusion also packages the poulsbo
> firmware and drm drivers, again I don't have the hardware so don't
> know their current state.
>
> Jon

David, Adam posted in the FC14 test thread - where a similar issue has
come up - that you should use the driver in RPMfusion, not the
'fedorapeople' driver.

Here's his message:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/xfce/2010-September/000212.html

He points to some instructions for installation, as well.

The upshot of that thread is that F13 does not support 1366x768 out of
the box, but will do with that revised driver from RPMfusion.

regards, Ron